A Chance meeting in Tsitsikamma

Michele Nel

A Chance meeting in Tsitsikamma

Post by Michele Nel »

We have just arrived home from a 16 day road trip along Route 62 , through Baviaanskloof, Addo, Tsitsikamma and Ebb & Flow.
We only spent one evening at Storms River Mouth ...but one evening was all I needed. :)

We left Addo Main Camp at about 7.00 am on the morning of the 18th and exited the park through the Matyholweni Gate at 10.30 am or so. It had rained on and off through the morning but just before Storm's River Bridge the heavens opened. By now I was a little fed up with the rain but I tried not to be too unhappy about it as the Eastern Cape is desperate for rain. I did feel by now though that the Rain Queen had worked enough of her magic and I was so longing for one lovely night camped right next to the ocean without any rain. As we approached the gate to Storms River Camp the rain had eased a bit. I was debating whether to upgrade to a chalet or not but I decided we were sticking to camping that night regardless of the wet weather. I had booked a tent campsite with a seaview and we decided to chose the first campsite next to the little stream running past the ablutions into the sea. Doug had already plugged in the electrics when I decided that I actually didn't want to camp there...I wanted to camp further down the line, for which reason I had no idea. Extensions got rolled up and we moved further down to campsite 110 . We spent the next 45 mins or so setting up rooftop tent and awning as well as the sides to the awning. We were prepared for the rain. As soon as we had finished the sun came out - but I have learnt not to trust the weather. We took advantage of the weather and we went for a short walk. It had to be a short walk as I had badly sprained my ankle on the 4th day into our trip. I then settled myself in my chair and enjoyed my seaview. The sea certainly kept me entertained ...dolphins, Gannets and Swift Terns and the odd white-breasted Cormorant. At about 5.45 I decided to go for a short walk. I was hoping to find a Chorister Robin. The Forest Huts were unoccupied so I mooched around them but sadly no Chorister Robins. I saw a pathway that led up to the road so decided to take that . As I emerged onto the road I heard a Sombre Greenbul chirping. It chirped and chirped but I just couldn't see it. I was beginning to get a bit frustrated ...I just wished the bird would either show itself or shut up. I decided to move on before I yelled at the bird @#$ and as I turned to walk down back to camp I saw some movement out of the corner of my eye. Well I just couldn't believe my eyes .....a caracal had emerged out of the bushes :shock:

CB6C9246.jpg

My excitement soon turned to horror when I realised that the caracal was going to run across road right in front of an approaching car.

CB6C9249.jpg

Thankfully the car was driving slowly and I realised the caracal was going to make it across unscathed.

CB6C9250.jpg

My heart was pounding and I was shaking ....and I was firing away without checking any camera settings.
I thought the caracal would disappear straight into the bushes but it took a few more paces towards me before disappearing.

CB6C9256.jpg

Oh wow ..oh wow...what had just happened??? I calmed myself down and gingerly picked my way back to camp. Doug knew by my face that I had something exciting to tell him. For once I wasn't even stressed about the photography side of things. I knew I had some sort of photos to back up my story and that was all that mattered. :D

It doesn't get much better than this ...or does it ????? :whistle: :whistle:

RogerFraser
Site Admin

Re: A Chance meeting in Tsitsikamma

Post by RogerFraser »

^Q^ Wow what a special sighting and photos to prove it . O:V

nan

Post by nan »

first I have to =O: and that, you only know why

then a Caracal meeting a Caracal O/\ O/\ O/\
all the chances, like usual, it's why I got so many chance to travel with you 0/0

Tsisikamma, Ebb & Flow, Route 62 0*\ , Addo [Luv]
X#X

and what have you still in your sleeve, I'm ready :-0 :-0 :-0 well almost lol
0()

Kgalagadi lover… for ever
https://safrounet.piwigo.com/
Michele Nel

Post by Michele Nel »

Thx RogerFraser...:) best you gather your 0() ....there is more. :)
first I have to =O: and that, you only know why
oh yes Nan.....it never fails =O: =O: =O:

Hopefully tonight I will get to post some more... 0() 0()

Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

It seems that you have luck encountering the unexpected. :shock: :shock:

Sorry to disagree with
It doesn't get much better than this ...or does it ?????
What if there had been two or maybe a couple of cubs? --00-- =O: =O:

It must have been a marvellous sensation ^Q^ ^Q^

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
The desire for equality must never exceed the demands of knowledge
Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

Very nice, Michele! 0/*

What incredible luck, and on foot! :shock: :shock:

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596
Michele Nel

Post by Michele Nel »

It does get better Lisbeth...:)

Michele Nel

Post by Michele Nel »

The rest of the story as promised. :)

When I got back to camp I grabbed my glasses and had a quick look at my photos. I decided that I could definitely live them... :dance: I tried to calm myself down and started to think about getting organised for our evening braai .By now it was almost 6.30pm

Then a bird chirping caught my attention...not the Southern Boubou that had been yelling most of the afternoon....not the Sombre Greenbul that had driving me nuts with it's invisible tricks and neither was it the Chorister Robin I was still hoping to find. It sounded fairly close so with all thoughts of getting organised for our braai forgotten I grabbed my camera and I scooted off. I walked towards campsite #115 which is the last one next to the wooden steps leading up to the road.

The bird was still calling and I was scouring all the dense bush in front of me ...it was so loud and so close yet I just couldn't see it. I was methodically running my eyes backwards and forwards and all of a sudden I spotted .....THIS :shock: :shock:
I was gobsmacked .....truly gobsmacked . What I had spotted was the most beautiful caracal I had ever seen.
I sprang into action with my camera and at the same time I was moving slowly backwards as I did not want to disturb this cat.
CB6C9287.jpg
I expected it to reverse back into the bushes but it didn't. The cat started walking forwards towards me...
CB6C9289.jpg
and closer...
CB6C9292.jpg
and a look to the right...
CB6C9305.jpg

Michele Nel

Post by Michele Nel »

This time I concentrated on the task at hand...I would never forgive myself if I messed this one up. At the same time I was still slowly backing away and I was frantically waving my arm in the hopes that I would attract Doug's attention.I eventually called him...one loud "Doug" and without taking my eyes from the cat I was waving my arm in the air. That got his attention. My yell had not disturbed the cat...it decided not to go right but started walking to the left....
It sauntered behind one rock...then gave me a brief look and sauntered past the next rock.
CB6C9306.jpg
CB6C9307.jpg
CB6C9308.jpg

Michele Nel

Post by Michele Nel »

When it emerged from behind the rock it sat down and looked at me for one brief second....
This time I was ready !!
CB6C9310.jpg
CB6C9311.jpg
The caracal then took a few more steps to the left and disappeared back into the bushes.
CB6C9319.jpg
CB6C9324.jpg
I had just experienced the best 1 min and 24 secs of our entire trip. It made up for the rain....it made up for the scary roads we had travelled..it made up for the disappointment in not seeing some of the birds I had hoped to see....and it made up for my sprained ankle. :dance: Best of all Doug had managed to get there in time to share this beautiful sighting with me.

I was left wondering whether I had seen two different caracals or whether it was the same one . As there were no other campers around I decided to put up the camera trap up that night....but the caracal did not put in an appearance. I feel very privileged to have witnessed this and I am very happy to finally have a portrait of a caracal.

And the rain stayed away ....and I never did find the bird that was chirping. :lol:

Return to “Travel Tales of other South African National Parks”