Finally KTP

PJL

Finally KTP

Post by PJL »

We've been wanting to try and sneak in a trip to the Kgalagadi for a number of years now, but finding accommodation during the school holidays has been pretty much impossible. So when I happened across a cancellation for the October holidays we snapped up the nights available at Twee Rivieren to go explore a park we had never been to before O\/ O\/

Many friends who have been to the park before have told me how much they love the place... so what would it actually be like? We knew the sightings would be more sparse than say Kruger, and the roads were somewhat limited in comparison to the variety of loops and routes available in other places. Either way, we had to go check it out for ourselves!

D had a cricket tournament that disrupted the plans slightly, so we were only able to leave later on the Saturday that the holidays started. Once his game was done we hit the road and took a route through Graaff-Reinet, Murraysburg, Victoria West then on via Britstown to Groblershoop where we overnighted... most of the route was entirely new to us, but the roads were good and incredibly quiet.

The N10 from Britstown north involved very few turns lol

But we picked up plenty of bugs en-route 0*\

Our overnight stay was a farm by the Orange river... nice views over the river the next morning O:V

Our progress towards Upington was delayed due to a tow truck trying to retrieve another truck that had rolled into a ditch. 0*\

Fortunately for us, the process came to a swift stop as their winch cable snapped so the road was clear again in no time. We stopped in Upington for supplies and crossed the rather blue-looking Orange river on the way into town O**

Before long, signs suggested we were getting closer O/\

And with excitement we arrived and did the check-in thing which takes a bit longer than other places what with the extra paperwork used to check you into the park on a per-drive basis

And then on to the camp area to set up in what was now 37 degrees <hot>

harrys

Re: Finally KTP

Post by harrys »

0() 0() 0()

KTP: Twee Rivieren 12 to 13 May
KNP: May be one day again??
Mel
Global Moderator

Post by Mel »

37°C degrees is pretty hot for the start of October <hot>

Curious to hear whether the red sand got between your toes or not O**

God put me on earth to accomplish a certain amount of things. Right now I'm so far behind that I'll never die.
Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

It had to happen some time ;-)

You'll have to tell us the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth regarding "the red sand getting between your toes or not" :twisted:
0()

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
The desire for equality must never exceed the demands of knowledge
Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

Excellent Peej! ^Q^ ^Q^

Can't wait for this story! 0()

Lovely to see roads so good and things so clean, hey! X#X

37 degrees... O-/

Maybe it cooled down in the evenings? ..0..

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596
RogerFraser
Site Admin

Post by RogerFraser »

^Q^ Great start

Hoping to finally put a plan for us to go there next year ,was knee high to a grasshopper when last I went there lol (park had a different name back then O** ) so interested to hear how your trip went O**

0()

nan

Post by nan »

already love the start... only the name "KTP" says all for me O/\

I'm ready for the suite 0()

Kgalagadi lover… for ever
https://safrounet.piwigo.com/
GavinW

Post by GavinW »

Great news A new KTP report

Can't wait O/\ O/\

And it reminds me that I still have one outstanding :o0ps:

Wishing I was in the KTP
PJL

Post by PJL »

harrys wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 7:00 am0() 0() 0()
Nice to have you along Harry X#X

Mel wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 7:17 am 37°C degrees is pretty hot for the start of October <hot>

Curious to hear whether the red sand got between your toes or not O**
Yeah it got up to 40 degrees that day and was regularly 38 while we were there. Pretty much summer temps <hot>

Lisbeth wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 10:51 am It had to happen some time ;-)

You'll have to tell us the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth regarding "the red sand getting between your toes or not" :twisted:
0()
Yep it'll be totally truthful Lis \O

Richprins wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 5:44 pm Excellent Peej! ^Q^ ^Q^

Can't wait for this story! 0()

Lovely to see roads so good and things so clean, hey! X#X

37 degrees... O-/

Maybe it cooled down in the evenings? ..0..
It cooled down about 4am 0: --00-- lol

RogerFraser wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 7:26 pm ^Q^ Great start

Hoping to finally put a plan for us to go there next year ,was knee high to a grasshopper when last I went there lol (park had a different name back then O** ) so interested to hear how your trip went O**

0()
Thanks Roger... I'm sure you'll find it useful to hear from a complete KTP novice X#X

nan wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 9:34 pm already love the start... only the name "KTP" says all for me O/\

I'm ready for the suite 0()
0/* nan... great to have you along

GavinW wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 7:19 am Great news A new KTP report

Can't wait O/\ O/\

And it reminds me that I still have one outstanding :o0ps:
Nice to see you along here Gavin \O

PJL

Post by PJL »

We set up camp in stages as it was simply too hot to do it all in one go. A bit of tent pitching then a dip in the pool to cool off before repeating the exercise lol

Mid-afternoon we set off on our first drive into the park in the comfort of air conditioning, and decided to take the Auob road. Not long after entering we found a spotted eagle owl asleep in a tree

The first section of the Auob takes you up over the dune field for about 10 minutes, and we knew that there wasn't normally much to see up there so only stopped by an ostrich feeding

As we meandered our way along the riverbed all animals were 'new' and deserved a pic... we would see plenty of kori bustards, springbok and wildebeest during our stay, but sometimes the herd numbers and sizes were a lot fewer than I was anticipating. Perhaps the fires in the park were to blame -O-

Further along the road we found a red necked falcon trying its best to cool off in the shade

And then a real highlight for us - we had been keen to try and find cape foxes on the trip as we had never seen them before. This one seemed quite happy to be out in the sun and heat O:V

On our way back, we found a wildebeest testing out some makeup lol

Another bird trying to cool off... not exactly sure what it was but possibly some junior version of a goshawk :-? -O-

Some gemsbok larking around

And a secretary bird retreating to a tree for the night

It was time to head back to camp and enjoy our first braai X#X

Return to “Travel Tales of Kgalagadi Transfrontier National Park”