Flutterby

Re: General Information

Post by Flutterby »

Flutterby

First-timer’s guide to the Kgalagadi

Post by Flutterby »

By: Roxanne Reid
22 August 2013

The Kgalagadi Transfrontier Park, straddling the border between South Africa and Botswana, is a semi-desert of red dunes and star-crammed skies where African animals run wild and visitors get a wilderness ‘fix’ that’s Pro-zac for the soul. Once Kalahari sand gets into your shoes, legend says, you’ll be drawn back again and again.

Getting there
Take the R360 for 250 kilometres from Upington in the Northern Cape, via Askham to Twee Rivieren on the South Africa/Botswana border (total distance from Johannesburg 960 km; from Cape Town 1100 km). If time is short and your pockets deep, fly to Upington and hire a vehicle there.

Getting around
I recommend driving a vehicle with high clearance (at least 190 mm) or 4×4, especially when the roads are badly corrugated, or muddy in the rainy season (December/January to April). I’ve seen sedans make it here in the dry season (May to November), but who knows at what cost to their suspension! A 4×4 is essential for the guided and self-drive 4×4 trails on the South African side, and everywhere on the Botswana/eastern side of the park. Deflate your tyres for a softer ride (and see tip 8 below).

Best time to visit
Any time is good, depending on what you enjoy. September–November, the end of the dry season, brings animals to the waterholes and many migrant birds. January/February gives lots of action, good raptor sightings and some electric storms if you don’t mind temperatures of 45–50 ºC. If rains have been good, March may show a greener side to the park and it’s good for birding. Steer clear of June/July if you hate being cold; night-time temperatures can plummet to as low as -10 ºC although days are sunny (read about how fauna and flora survive desert extremes here).

What to look for
You have a good chance of spotting black-maned Kalahari lions and maybe even a leopard, but leave your Big Five notions at home: there are no elephant, rhino or buffalo here. Rather take pleasure in birds of prey, cheetah, hyena, honey badger, bat-eared fox, meerkat and small creatures like whistling rats and barking geckos.

Where to stay
South Africa: SANParks’ tourist camps (Twee Rivieren, Nossob, Mata Mata) offer self-catering chalets and camping, while their six higher-priced and more exclusive wilderness camps (Gharagab and Bitterpan for 4x4s only) are unfenced for a close-to-nature feel. The private !Xaus Lodge on land returned to the Mier and Khomani San is a fully-catered luxury option. Kgalagadi Lodge (read about this little piece of Paradise in the Kalahari here) outside the park, five kilometres south of Twee Rivieren, has self-catering chalets, camping with private ablutions, and a good little restaurant.

Botswana: Botswana Department of Wildlife and National Parks (DWNP) provides unfenced bush camping with long-drop loos at Rooiputs and Polentswa, and on a range of multi-night trails across the dunes. You must have a 4×4, bring all your own water and be entirely self-sufficient. At the other end of the scale are the new full-board private lodges at Rooiputs and Polentswa.

Tips for visiting the Kgalagadi Transfrontier Park

1. Buy the official info guide to the park at Twee Rivieren for background on the park’s animals, plants and neighbouring San communities.

2. Take warm gear if you visit in winter; use sunscreen and keep hydrated in summer.

3. Rain falls mainly between January and April, though we were once caught in a hail storm in September. The dry season is May to November/December.

4. The safety of the water is suspect. Bring drinking water from home or buy 5-litre jugs of mineral water outside the park where it’s cheaper.

5. You can buy fuel only at Twee Rivieren, Nossob and Mata Mata.

6. Only Twee Rivieren, Nossob and Mata Mata have shops selling bottled water, basic food/toiletries and firewood.

7. Budget for at least one guided early morning walk (R313 a person, no kids under 16) or sunset/night drive (R181 a person, kids half price) during your visit.

8. If you venture out on a 4×4 trail, take a grass net to protect your radiator and deflate your tyres to 1.6 bars or less so you don’t get stuck in thick sand. For safety, travel with at least two vehicles.

9. This is a transfrontier park, but if you want to leave the park in Botswana or cross into Namibia at the Mata Mata border, having entered from South Africa, you must complete immigration formalities at Twee Rivieren/Two Rivers, and stay a minimum of two nights in the park.

10. Kgalagadi is not a high-risk malaria area, but use repellents and cover up at dawn/dusk in summer.

- See more at: http://blog.getaway.co.za/travel-ideas/ ... woyqu.dpuf

Toko

Re: General Information

Post by Toko »

Mel
Global Moderator

Re: Kgalagadi Transfrontier Park General Information

Post by Mel »

God put me on earth to accomplish a certain amount of things. Right now I'm so far behind that I'll never die.
mouseinthehouse

Re: Nossob Hide

Post by mouseinthehouse »

Just returned from 17 days in KTP. Awesome trip although sightings a bit hard to come by with a few gems interspersed with long periods of.....boks, boks and beests. :-)

Am perturbed to see these developments planned when the existing assets are so poorly maintained and serviced. For example:

Mata Mata Luxury Chalet: totally smashed (but intact) floor to ceiling glass panel. Rattan lounge chair broken and worn. No cutting board, toaster or grater.
Mata Mata Std Chalet: trip hazard from kitchen to bedroom ( no hazard tape has been replaced; it was obviously there originally) which resulted in stubbed toes. No curtain on the kitchen leaving us with no privacy whatsoever in that area.
Nossob Std chalet x 2: filthy shower that had not been cleaned properly for months. No wine glasses (out of stock apparently) No toaster provided (only for guesthouses we were told- huh - a toaster a luxury item?) Poor bedding and mattress valances not presented properly just left rucked up and looking very untidy and unprofessional.
Bitterpan: horrible - needs complete refurb.

Lots of problems with grubby walls, peeling paint, cupboard doors hanging by one hinge etc etc.

So why outlay a lot of money but have ongoing systemic failure in maintenance? Very frustrating.

The good bits: Kielie Krankie and Gharagab outstanding (although floors at Gharagab desperately need screwing down to get rid of noise). Staff doing a fantastic job at these camps. Twee Riviereen chalet spotless and well presented. All other staff at reception very polite and efficient. Melissa DuToit (I hope that's right) at Nossob took us on a sunset drive. Superb guiding on what was a quiet sightings night. Will do some more reviewing in the TT section shortly.

Toko

Post by Toko »

0/* MITH

Sounds as if you were not impressed with KTP accommodation :-?
Might be spartanic re utensils etc and worn or not serviced perfectly, but can one expect more for R790.00/chalet in a remote place but located in one of the most sought-after reserves -O-

Lots of people are complaining about the low standard of accommodation, but the KTP camps are often booked out, only if guest will stay away, management will think they have to offer better value for money. I guess, nothing will change, because it sells :shock:

Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

The wilderness camps are tops though, because the guys who look after them, take pride in their work. this is completely missing in other places because: "in any case nobody knows who cleans/fix/look after this unit". SP still have not understood that the staff need to be controlled 0*\ 0=

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
The desire for equality must never exceed the demands of knowledge
nan

Post by nan »

Mouse in... 0/* welcome back
yes is Melissa DuToit, a nice guide \O

shame that all are in so low maintenance 0=
expensive enough... I thing of Mata river front 0*\
I hope Gharagab will stay nice for six month more :-0

Kgalagadi lover… for ever
https://safrounet.piwigo.com/
Bushveld Jock

Post by Bushveld Jock »

nan wrote:Mouse in... 0/* welcome back
yes is Melissa DuToit, a nice guide \O

shame that all are in so low maintenance 0=
expensive enough... I thing of Mata river front 0*\
I hope Gharagab will stay nice for six month more :-0
Maybe I have too much of a South African accent but my experience of the game drive was the opposite.

Can only agree on the squeaky noise of the floors at Gharagab. :-0 :-0

Kgalagadi: Dec 2015
KNP Maroela, Shingwedzi & Pretoriuskop: March 2016

Return to “KTP Information and General Discussion Forum”