Krugersdorp Game Reserve

Amoli

Krugersdorp Game Reserve

Post by Amoli »

Krugersdorp Game Park is about 30 min drive from Jo'burg.

If you need a park and time is of the essence to travel to KNP or the bigger park, this park will satisfy a small part of you.
I will post some pics of their chalets and reception area - with which I was ever so impressed.

More later.....

As I travelled, the only thing that scratched the surface of being irratable was the cyclists that were riding up and down and talking all the while.
That bugged me, but luckily it became to hot for them to ride... \O

I switched off my car and sat listening to the sounds of the bush... it was good.

My attention was drawn by these two squirrels and we had a super duper visit.... they introduced themselves as Moempels en Doempels....

Let the pictures tell the story...

Hello..... who, who are you ?? We are Moempels and Doempels... :o

...but phuleeze don't take pics of my friend.... :oops:

.... he is VERY shy, and except for that....

- he feels you need to like him for his body, not his face.....

.... just see how great he looks....

You can take pics of me though..... I'm quite handsome too....

.... oh well, maybe only one picture.... but not the face dude....

Run, run, run..... ah no.... now all is revealed.... Let's go home...

Dzombo

Re: Krugersdorp Game Reserve

Post by Dzombo »

Haven't been to K'dorp GR in years.

Is it still a good place to go to?

In fact, it used to be a "stepping stone" to Kruger when I was a kid.
My parents would take us there for the day. And then myself and my sisters would beg my parents to take us to a "proper" game reserve. -O
The next day my mother would be on the phone to SANP making a booking.
Happened a good few times.

Amoli

Post by Amoli »

I had a good laugh after reading your post Dzombo. The week after my day drive in K/dorp GP, I booked for KNP….

Unless I take visitors or the cubs, I won’t do the park again – thinking that I have seen what there is to see. It has also become quite steep with the entrance fee.

They allow cyclists in the park who chat while riding and scare the animals further from the roadside.

The Krugersdorp Game Park is 1500ha's large and hosts 4 of the big 5, giraffe, hippo and 28 various species of game. All the roads are tarred.
The habitat is mostly grassveld, which provide the visitor the opportunity to observe many of the grassland species of Gauteng

The habitat is mainly grassveld with small dams and reedbeds at the northern-most end.

The main attractions are a 100ha lion enclosure and the bird aviary.

The lions have been sold and are awaiting transport and the bird aviary has closed down.

The densely wooded valley runs through the reserve and includes a selection of bushveld birds. Approximately 200 species have been recorded. Visitors can also enjoy self-catering picnic facilities.

A la Carte Restaurant and Ladies bar at Ngenyama Lodge.

I was very impressed with the Chalets and Restaurant area.

Dzombo

Post by Dzombo »

Amoli,

How much is the entrance fee?

Any idea why the lions are being relocated?
Surely they were a big attraction?

Those Gemsbok look like the are drowning in the grass!

Amoli

Post by Amoli »

I paid R80 entrance fee and at a snails pace I could drive through the park in 1.1/2 hours - I felt I needed more... so I drove through a second time. -O

I do not like to see any animal caged in like that, yet seeing how peeps react running up to fence and teasing the animals... it's best they go where they can be left in the wild. I do not know who they are sold to, but I was made to understand a new pair will be brought in soon after these leave.

Dzombo - the grass is beautifull and the animals well fed. At some place the green of grass was so green, it was shining like a blue colour.. \O

bigbird

Post by bigbird »

This used to be one of our favourite local reserves to visit.
Are there no longer lions in the big lion enclosure?
We were last there in Spetember and the lions were fed on Sunday morning, similar to the feeding at Rhino and Lion Park. These lions were certainly not caged.
Also sad to hear that the aviary has closed. It was getting out of hand, but when we visited a lot of the trees had been trimed.
What has happened to the camping area?

Amoli

Post by Amoli »

Bigbird - the camping space is immaculate - tidy, neat and clean. I stopped for lunch at the little restaurant next door to the camping space and the service was good, food was good and the price was good.

The body that bought the lions does not want them running free - they are in the enclosure measuring about 40m x 50m (guesstamate). Maybe my wording of being caged is then wrong, and I apologise - but their freedom is limited. You don't have to search to see them, they are just there within sight.
They still get fed on a Sunday at 12 midday. \O

Mel
Global Moderator

Post by Mel »

I remember the lion feeding sessions. A donkey used to be dropped off the back of a bakkie on a Sunday pm.

alfredalfred

Post by alfredalfred »

I do not like to see any animal caged in like that, yet seeing how peeps react running up to fence and teasing the animals... it's best they go where they can be left in the wild. I do not know who they are sold to, but I was made to understand a new pair will be brought in soon after these leave????

waleeed
Flutterby

Post by Flutterby »

Welcome alfredalfred. 0/*

Return to “Gauteng Province Game Parks & Nature Reserves”