OUR OVERSEAS TRIP 2007 ENGLAND CANADA SCOTLAND

Share your 'non-green' travel tales here.
nan

Re: OUR OVERSEAS TRIP 2007 ENGLAND CANADA SCOTLAND

Post by nan »

me too... will have a look at the Squirrel \O

Kgalagadi lover… for ever
https://safrounet.piwigo.com/
nan

Post by nan »

found that here
from USA and Canada \O

steamtrainfan

Post by steamtrainfan »

FRIDAY 6 JULY 2007.

A visit to Niagara Falls. First a stop at the town of Niagara On The Lake which is situated on the Niagara River and Lake Ontario.
The flowers were all over and looked amazing.

Then on to Niagara Falls itself. I attach some information below, which some folk might find interesting, pertaining to the falls. Thanks to Wikipedia.
Niagara Falls (/naɪˈæɡrə/ ny-ag-ra, Cayuga: Gahnawehtaˀ or Tgahnawęhtaˀ[1]) is the collective name for three waterfalls that straddle the international border between the Canadian province of Ontario and the U.S. state of New York. They form the southern end of the Niagara Gorge.
From largest to smallest, the three waterfalls are the Horseshoe Falls, the American Falls and the Bridal Veil Falls. The Horseshoe Falls lie on the Canadian side and the American Falls on the American side, separated by Goat Island. The smaller Bridal Veil Falls are also located on the American side, separated from the other waterfalls by Luna Island. The international boundary line was originally drawn through Horseshoe Falls in 1819, but the boundary has long been in dispute due to natural erosion and construction.[2]
Located on the Niagara River, which drains Lake Erie into Lake Ontario, the combined falls form the highest flow rate of any waterfall in the world, with a vertical drop of more than 165 feet (50 m). Horseshoe Falls is the most powerful waterfall in North America, as measured by vertical height and also by flow rate.[3] The falls are located 17 miles (27 km) north-northwest of Buffalo, New York and 75 miles (121 km) south-southeast of Toronto, between the twin cities of Niagara Falls, Ontario, and Niagara Falls, New York.
Niagara Falls were formed when glaciers receded at the end of the Wisconsin glaciation (the last ice age), and water from the newly formed Great Lakes carved a path through the Niagara Escarpment en route to the Atlantic Ocean. While not exceptionally high, the Niagara Falls are very wide. More than six million cubic feet (168,000 m3) of water falls over the crest line every minute in high flow,[4] and almost four million cubic feet (110,000 m3) on average.
The Niagara Falls are renowned both for their beauty and as a valuable source of hydroelectric power. Managing the balance between recreational, commercial, and industrial uses has been a challenge for the stewards of the falls since the 19th century.

American and Bridal Veil Falls.

Horseshoe Falls. Left is USA and right is Canada.

One of the many boats that take visitors to the foot of the falls. All wearing raincoats as one gets soaked from the spray.

A rather unusual view. I keep getting the feeling I am getting pulled over. 0-

In this photo one can see the queue to go for the "Journey Behind The Falls" I was told that you actually walk behind all that water rushing down. I so wanted to do that but we also wanted to do the boat ride and time would not allow us to do both.

Photos take from the boat.
American Falls.

Horseshoe Falls

The Whirlpool with its cable car. The river enters the Whirlpool from top left, swirls around in this huge pool and then exits bottom left.

Faith is the bird that feels the light while the dawn is still dark. Author unknown.
nan

Post by nan »

magnificent, wonderful ^Q^ ^Q^ ^Q^
but I think you got a bigger one in Africa ;-)

steamtrainfan

Post by steamtrainfan »

Thanks for the info on the Black Squirrel nan.
nan wrote:but I think you got a bigger one in Africa
Higher yes but not as much water flowing over. Maybe when the Zambezi is in flood the flow of water over Victoria Falls might get close to that of Niagara.

Faith is the bird that feels the light while the dawn is still dark. Author unknown.
pooky

Post by pooky »

Very interesting STF with awesome photos of the falls ^Q^ ^Q^
The water is so clean \O

Love the black squirrel too \O

Satara 30 Sept - 7 Oct

Botswana June/July 2018
Flutterby

Post by Flutterby »

Great pics of the falls! \O

Bushcraft

Post by Bushcraft »

Awesome pics of the falls ^Q^ ^Q^ ^Q^

I would love to see that one day :-( -O-

Flutterby

Post by Flutterby »

You'd have to leave the country BC! ^0^

Mel
Global Moderator

Post by Mel »

Amazing pictures, STF. I just love anything with splashing water. -O

God put me on earth to accomplish a certain amount of things. Right now I'm so far behind that I'll never die.

Return to “Travel Tales from around the World”