Ireland in a Gypsy Caravan

Share your 'non-green' travel tales here.
steamtrainfan

Re: Ireland in a Gypsy Caravan

Post by steamtrainfan »

Wow - what an adventure. I just love Billy and his temperament.

Very glad to hear that he suffered no injury in his fall.

Glad you managed to get of your predicament.

Now what only comes in threes???????

Faith is the bird that feels the light while the dawn is still dark. Author unknown.
Moggiedog

Post by Moggiedog »

Taken a couple of months - but our current weather reminded me of the Emerald Isles.

We arrived at our destination - soon had Billy groomed fed and settled down into a paddock. Needless to say it didn't take long before Billy was covered in mud - nothing nicer than rolling in the mud to relax! It was a very pleasant day and the farmer told us we could help ourselves to the bicycles in the shed.
Off we toddled to the shed and leaning against the wall was a menagerie of two wheel creatures. Rusted, buckled wheels but a couple of odd bods that appeared rideable. But a huge problem - all the bicycles had been created for people with extremely long legs - which I definitely do not have! Hidden behind some sacking I found a rusted childs bike. Great we had our transport to explore.
We were soon peddling merrily along the lanes and admiring the scenery. Ireland is a beautiful country and is not short on little lanes and roads to explore.
Then for some unfathomable reason I started craving a banana. Perhaps my monkey blood was kicking in after the strenuous pedaling of a creature that needed some serious TLC. Off we headed for a little village. For some reason or another I never recorded the name of it. Head slap! As we bombed along looking for a place to stock up on a couple of items I realized I was gaining speed at an alarming rate. Steep hills have a habit of doing this to two wheeled, pedal powered machines. I pulled the brakes - nothing - in fact I seemed to go even faster.
Not having ridden a bicycle in the last hundred years or so the speed I was going was extremely daunting.
I soon realized the pavements where lined with people watching this spectacle of a free flying bicycle and a little old woman balancing precariously on top of it! Hair flying out behind me - legs sticking out at right angles hoping to find something to hook onto to stop my run-run away machine. An intersection - great - fortunately no other vehicles - eventually I arrived at the bottom of the hill and managed to turn the bike into the curb with an abrupt stop. Putting my feet on the ground I politely greeted the shop keeper with a friendly Good afternoon.
Tears of mirth where pouring down her cheeks as she valiantly attempted to contain her laughter.
We walked into the shop together - by now I couldn't contain my straight face any longer - B had arrived at this stage and looking extremely concerned as he saw me doubled up over the counter. Eventually he realized I was totally unharmed and was crying with laughter not pain.
We eventually managed to buy our groceries and my bananas (that cost an arm and a leg) and we set off for home.
An uneventful ride and the bicycle were carefully put to bed and we headed for the caravan.
We unpacked the few items and settled own with a cup of coffee and a cookie - my craving for a banana forgotten. A few hours later
"B - where did I put the bananas?"
"I have got no idea"
By now I am almost climbing the walls to find the bananas - no luck - I had forgotten them on the counter in the shop!!

Not lacking a sense of humour - B with a very straight face:

"Why don't you fly back down the hill to get them"
me
"not funny!!"

Flutterby

Post by Flutterby »

Great story Moggie!! =O: =O: Don't suppose there are any pics of you flying down the hill? :twisted:

Jillinflorida

Post by Jillinflorida »

Oh goodie - so glad you're continuing your Ireland saga..... :-0 0/* Yep, I can imagine you brakeless with the hill...and convulsed in laughter....and forgetting the 'nana's -

Moggiedog

Post by Moggiedog »

Flutterby - thank goodness there was no one around - especially with a video. I'm sure it would have landed on u-tube if there had been. :-0

Jill - I have this habit of forgetting about travel tales I start - 0*\

Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

Moggiedog wrote:
Jill - I have this habit of forgetting about travel tales I start - 0*\

No problemo! :yes: :ty:

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596
Moggiedog

Post by Moggiedog »

Thanks RP - glad you understand. Problem is at my age my brain cells have turned to hair follicles :-0

Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

You were lucky, that you had a sense of balance =O: =O:

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
The desire for equality must never exceed the demands of knowledge
Mel
Global Moderator

Post by Mel »

Since all the others were having a laugh at your expense and you don't seem to be too upset about,
I will freely admit that the image of you on that little bike flying down a hill caused some good giggles
on my side as well. Obviously only because we now know you came out of it unharmed. Well, mostly
unharmed. Forgetting the bananas is a tough blow! :twisted:

God put me on earth to accomplish a certain amount of things. Right now I'm so far behind that I'll never die.

Return to “Travel Tales from around the World”