Rarest Mammal in Kruger?

Information and Discussion on the Fauna and Flora of the Kruger Park
nan

Re: Rarest Mammal in Kruger?

Post by nan »

I found several time Roans and Sables and once Lichtenstein... but never Brown Hyena :-(
and what about Suni :-?

Kgalagadi lover… for ever
https://safrounet.piwigo.com/
Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

Heksie wrote:
Penga Ndlovu wrote:A brownie has been sighted in the parks again a week or 2 ago.
Confirmed by a ranger. \O \O
In which area? Is there photographic proof?

0()

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596
Heksie

Post by Heksie »

RP do you know something... :-?

18-23 March Sabie Park

8 -11 July Tsendze
12-15 July Satara

30 Sept-4 Oct Lower Sabie

27 Dec-7 Jan Satara
Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

Not at all!

There was a pic of a brownie taken by a staff member last year... O**

viewtopic.php?f=145&t=1223

The jury is still out a bit...well, mine is! :twisted:

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596
Heksie

Post by Heksie »

On the YF it was said that pic was taken in 2010 not whilst I had the brownie project... Total fail as we didn't see the brownie ourselfs but we did manage to raise funds from other sightings and stuff that we had to do \O
I want to see one with my very own eyes before I say they are in KNP. I will be a total of 10 days this Dec in the Satara area will drive that horrible S35 and go look for the bloody brownie

18-23 March Sabie Park

8 -11 July Tsendze
12-15 July Satara

27 Dec-7 Jan Satara
Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

Taken on the S35 Lindanda road in December 2012 while we were doing the fund raiser!
The S35 some of you might know as the harry wolhuter memorial road, which is a 15km road that starts 4km North of Tsokwane on the H1-3, and meets up with the S37 Trichard road that leads to the Sweni bird hide.

So there you have it! Brown Hyena are in Kruger! X#X

-O-

Heksie

Post by Heksie »

Sorry RP straight from the YF...
cheetah2111 wrote:Those who say there are no Brown hyena in Kruger ... come have a look see 8)
Those who asked for photographic proof ... see it now 8)

Thenews of the forum fund raiser 'The Brownie Challenge' has spread far and wide :dance: It is due to this that I laid my eyes upon a most encouraging email telling me who I should contact for proof of BH in Krugz :dance: :dance:

It is with great joy that I eventually got an email with this picture from Robert Spaan, an ex Sanparks employee who saw this brown hyena while working in Kruger!!

I'll quote some of the email here:
Hi James,

On the morning of the 2nd of December 2010 at approximately 05:38 while tracking buffalo to recapture myself, my wife and the vet working with us spotted this Brown Hyena streak over the road. It ran behind a stand of knobthorns but I managed to get off a quick shot of poor quality as it stopped for a second and turned and looked back. It then took off for to the east. I’ve deleted the emails I sent to scientific services with exact GPS coordinates but I can tell you that the siting took place on the Lindanda Rd about a kilometer or two before junction with the Trichardt Road. I reported the incident to the section ranger of Tshokwane (Mr. Steven Whitfield) and scientific services (Nick Zimbatis who agreed with the identification and passed it on to Gus Mills who also agreed with the identification). They may also still have the GPS coordinates if you require them. I also spent a fair amount of time observing brown hyena in the Waterberg while working there and can tell the difference between a brown hyena and an aardwolf which is often other people’s argument.

If anyone wants this man's credentials to check up on him, drop me a PM and I'll provide :thumbs_up:

So there you have it!!!!!!!
Brown Hyena IN KRUGER :dance: :dance: :dance:
This sighting was not in 2012 as he said on this forum... or he is cery deurmekaar with his facts -O-

18-23 March Sabie Park

8 -11 July Tsendze
12-15 July Satara

27 Dec-7 Jan Satara
Bushcraft

Post by Bushcraft »

I’m not sure on brownies in KNP, but live with hope ;-)

Interesting topic BB 0()

Bush Brat

Post by Bush Brat »

If it that is really a Brownie, which it possibly could be then it was a VERY lucky sighting! :shock: O\/
nan wrote:I found several time Roans and Sables and once Lichtenstein... but never Brown Hyena :-(
and what about Suni :-?
I would agree with nan - what about Suni?
Bushcraft wrote:I’m not sure on brownies in KNP, but live with hope ;-)

Interesting topic BB 0()
Thanks BC! ;-) \O

mposthumus

Post by mposthumus »

In all my years of visited KNP I saw Roan only twice

Blackie also twice

Sable Antelope three times

Serval - once on a night drive O\/

As for Brownie, Aardwolf, Striped Polecat, Pangolin, Lichtenstein, Suni, - I believe they are out there . . . . just hiding 0*\

Return to “Fauna and Flora of Kruger Park”