Shamwari Game Reserve

Sprocky

Shamwari Game Reserve

Post by Sprocky »

Shamwari raises R3m for rhino conservation

2013-10-16 08:44

The Shamwari Group has raised just over R3 million for the Wilderness Foundation’s ‘Forever Wild Campaign’, an initiative to help save our endangered African rhinos.

Each of the Shamwari Group properties- Shamwari Game Reserve, Sanbona Wildlife Reserve and Jock Safari Lodge have over the last 18 months taken part in the Forever Wild campaign by offering guests a discounted rate if guests donated a minimum of R100 per person per night when making their booking. Shamwari Group then donated R500 for every room night sold on this offer.

“We believe it’s important to continually grow the awareness and we would sincerely like to extend our appreciation to all the guests and agents for their support with the Forever Wild campaign. The initiative started in March 2012 and will continue throughout 2014. For more information visit the Protect & Save 2014. The funds raised will help in many ways to educate and provide valuable resources needed by the Wilderness Foundation," said Shamwari Group General Manager Joe Cloete

To make a booking contact them on reservations@shamwarigroup.com or (041) 509 3000.

Sometimes it’s not until you don’t see what you want to see, that you truly open your eyes.
Errol1

Re: Shamwari Game Reserve

Post by Errol1 »

I am quite embarrassed to say that I have never visited Shamwari even though it is about 80 kilometers from my house :o0ps: . Do any Forum members know if day visitors are allowed to Shamwari and if so, does one need to book to visit for a day -O- ?

Mel
Global Moderator

Post by Mel »

Can you do day trips to this reserve at all? -O-

God put me on earth to accomplish a certain amount of things. Right now I'm so far behind that I'll never die.
Errol1

Post by Errol1 »

Mel wrote:Can you do day trips to this reserve at all? -O-
Mel, I contacted them and day trips can be arranged but the price for a day visit per person is very scary for most of us who earn SA Rands -O- :-( .

Mel
Global Moderator

Post by Mel »

How much O-/

God put me on earth to accomplish a certain amount of things. Right now I'm so far behind that I'll never die.
Errol1

Post by Errol1 »

Mel wrote:How much O-/
Mel, they apparently only accept groups of 4 people as day visitors when they have a vehicle available. The cost is R6,000 for the group of 4 people which is for a 3 hour game drive and includes lunch.

Mel
Global Moderator

Post by Mel »

Steep! O-/

But thank you for providing this Information, Errol \O

Puff Addy

Post by Puff Addy »

Errol1 wrote:the price for a day visit per person is very scary for most of us who earn SA Rands
Also scary for those of us who earn Czech korunas! 0-

Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

Even more for those who do not earn anything :shock:

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
The desire for equality must never exceed the demands of knowledge
Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

Hanekom commends Shamwari Game Reserve for its vital conservation contribution to tourism

Shamwari Private Game Reserve's on centre is considered as one of the best and most successful in South Africa, so much so that animals from other reserves are sent there for treatment or protection from poaching.

Acknowledging the Port Elizabeth game reserve's contribution Tourism Minister, Derek Hanekom says growing safari tourism is vital to sustain and develop South Africa’s game reserves. He commended the conservation work they do and the benefits they bring to surrounding communities during a visit to Shamwari during the opening of its new, purpose-built facility.

The new rehabilitatiion centre, set to expand the capabilities of their team, allowing it to treat and care for more sick and injured animals before releasing them back into the wild, was commemorated with the planting of an indigenous Outeniqua Yellowwood tree.

It will also serve as a conservation education centre where academics, researchers, guests, school groups and members of the community can learn about the practice and benefits of conservation.

Shamwari’s 25-year conservation programme is an example of how tourism can fund projects to restore and protect the country’s indigenous fauna and flora, attract international investment and provide economic opportunities for rural communities. Owners, the Investment Corporation Dubai, is investing US$25 million to upgrade Shamwari.

In the first phase, two lodges, the flagship Eagles Crag and Riverdene Family Lodge, have been extensively refurbished.

The next phase includes building the new rehabilitation centre, renovating the historic manor house, Long Lee Manor, and extensively re-building the contiguous accommodation to provide 18 luxury suites. A new premium, luxury tented camp is also under construction.

CEO, Joe Cloete, says the investment is critical to ensure Shamwari remains one of the world’s premier wildlife experiences and can continue attracting revenue to fund its conservation programmes, with all their linked benefits.

Independent research conducted on socio-economic impacts has shown that compared to agriculture, wildlife conservation increases the benefits for local communities by 10% in terms of income and skills development.

The upgrade project includes new menus at the lodges. All the ingredients are procured from local suppliers. Chefs, kitchen and hospitality staff have all received extensive training.

“Globally, eco- and experiential tourism is growing. With our abundant game reserves, natural beauty, modern infrastructure, good air access and favourable exchange rate, South Africa is ideally positioned to compete and develop this market,” says Hanekom.

“Successfully doing so brings not only the obvious economic gains but creates a virtuous cycle which encourages further investment in conservation of our natural heritage and making the destination even more attractive,” adds Hanekom.

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
The desire for equality must never exceed the demands of knowledge

Return to “Eastern Cape Province Game Parks & Nature Reserves”