Kgalagadi Cheetah Discussion

Discussions on KTP of a General Nature
Mel
Global Moderator

Re: Kgalagadi Cheetah Discussion

Post by Mel »

Sad news for the Kgalagadi cheetahs...

First of all, end of March / beginning of April a ranger from Mata Mata found a dead male somewhere in the upper Auob. A specific location wasn't given, but the fact that the dead male was blind on one eye. So, that must have been D'Artagnan. Granted the Musketeers are reasonably old for male cheetahs in the wild. But it's still sad as an era has come to an end.

Secondly, there was a dead cheetah found between Monro and Houmoed on the 24th April 2023. He was part of a two male coaltion that had only been discovered a bit more than a year ago around Melkvlei. The two had subsequently moved to the Auob side where they were seen regularly, basically all over from Dalkeith down to Houmoed. Their coaliton name is The Legadimas, with their individual names Gijima and Shesha. Gijima is the one that was found dead.

Gina's boys - Gustav and Gandalf were seen lying close to Gijima's carcass and they looked worse for wear. Despite the rumours that lions had killed the Gijima, no one could provide any photos of the actual killing. Plus, if it had been lions that had killed that male, Gustav and Gandalf certainly wouldn't have remained in the area. So, it's very likely that the two of them got into a deadly fight with the other coalition. As this kind of aggression is rather rare to happen when males cross pathes, there was probably a female in heat around who they all fought over.

While Gandalf made it through the 24th, his carcass was found the next day, close to where the other dead cheetah was. Somebody had still seen him walking away with Gustav on the 24th but he then either succumbed to his injuries or maybe a lion got hold of him and finished him off with Gandalf being too weak to run away. That part is not known (yet) but lions had been in the area.

Also, there is no further information as to what has happened to Shesha.

However, Gustav was seen again on the 7th May in company of a male called Maximus. From the photos it seems as if Gustav is trying to form a new coalition. But it remains to be seen if this attempt will be successful.

As sad and tragic the whole event is, it is also sort of luck that visitors were able to witness it. Incidents like this rarely happen in the riverbeds, but rather in the dunes and cheetahs just vanish without anyone being the wiser. So, at least we know what happened.

God put me on earth to accomplish a certain amount of things. Right now I'm so far behind that I'll never die.
Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

It is always sad when one of these wonderful cats dies, but less so if it is a consequence of normal life in the wild.

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
The desire for equality must never exceed the demands of knowledge
Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

Interesting, Mello! :ty:

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596
nan

Post by nan »

thank you Mel, I saw that.... :shock:
our dear Musketeers :no:

and Gijima, then Gandalf :no:
I really hope that Gustav and Maximus will be able to made a new coalition :yes:

and as per the Leopard's booklet, "my" dear Safran would be dead :-(

Kgalagadi lover… for ever
https://safrounet.piwigo.com/
ExFmem

Post by ExFmem »

:-( :-( Thanks for the update. 0/0

Mel
Global Moderator

Post by Mel »

nan wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 9:38 pm thank you Mel, I saw that.... :shock:
our dear Musketeers :no:

and Gijima, then Gandalf :no:
I really hope that Gustav and Maximus will be able to made a new coalition :yes:

and as per the Leopard's booklet, "my" dear Safran would be dead :-(
Yes, it's sad, but Safran was already quite old. And she was able to live her life and didn't die prematurly. That's gotta count. :-)

God put me on earth to accomplish a certain amount of things. Right now I'm so far behind that I'll never die.
Mel
Global Moderator

Post by Mel »

April has not been a good month for the cheetah population in the KTP...

A'Dartagnan was found barely alive on the 5th. He was lying in a shade at Sitzas. One would assume that he died of old age, since he was 10+ years old but a trustable source reported him to have a wound on his neck. But not sure what happened.

When the Musketeers were last seen it was only Athos and Porthos at Dalkeith and 14th waterhole respectively. No sign of D'Artagnan back then. It was on 24th Jan. There is no report of them afterwards (so far), so we don't know if they managed to get together again.

That makes three confirmed deaths and one missing. :O^

Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

O-/

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596
nan

Post by nan »

:no:
the end of an era O-/

Kgalagadi lover… for ever
https://safrounet.piwigo.com/
Mel
Global Moderator

Post by Mel »

Indeed, nan. The end of an era...

Return to “KTP Information and General Discussion Forum”