Favourite Camping Spots in Kruger

Information & Discussions on Camping
Peter Betts

Favourite Camping Spots in Kruger

Post by Peter Betts »

If Jane and I are on our own or with the boys then Tzendze no 26 is what we go for or if we are witha second family then its No 27 and the other 28.

Balule we like the site on the far right in the corner facing the river...nice shade but you can't reserve.

Punda Maria we like the sites to the right of the hide and when we complete our camping swop over from tents to a Jurgens Camplite trailer. We are getting Solar panels so we won't need electricity at Punda and can then go far to the right - far from the madding crowd.

Lower Sabie ...NOT interested in CAMPING there...the worst camping area in Kruger by far!! The old area by the pool was much nicer.

Theuns

Re: Favourite Camping Spots in Kruger

Post by Theuns »

Peter, we also prefer site 26 at Tsendze and at Balule we have also camped at the site on the far right corner years ago. \O
We have camped on site 22 at Tsendze as well, it's huge with shade, but unfortunately a bit away from the fence.

General Gump

Post by General Gump »

Maroela is great out of season, lots to be seen along fenceline.

harrys

Post by harrys »

Our favourite camps are Shingwedzi and Letaba near the fence(any stand) \O .I'd like to go to Tzendse and Maroela but need to get my wife to get a bit more adventurous .

lowveldboy

Post by lowveldboy »

I love Maroela, in the right hand corner!!!

Balule, anywhere next to the fence.

Punda, only camped there once before, about 2 sites to the right of the ablutions.

Satara, never found space next to the fence

Pretoriuskop, I love the area, but not camping there

Bushveld Jock

Post by Bushveld Jock »

My best experience with camping in Kruger is Tsendze. Our first camping trip in Kruger, before we got married, was at Satara (only one night and huge spiders in bathroom) and Shingwedzi. Shingwedzi was the best of the two, but its difficult to judge because we stayed in a two men tent. Two men tents can fit anywhere and there was not much to complain about.

After the 2 men tent we moved to a off-road trailer and had some good experiences at Berg en Dal until last year when we could not get a camping site and no-one was showing where you could stand or check if you did book. We found a small spot behind a permanent tent. Luckily we left the trailer at home and took a 3 men tent (upgrade). It was actually nice to camp with the basics again.

My experience with Crocodile bridge was not that great. Also could not find a spot due to the camp being overbooked, while we booked 3 months in advance some drove past that morning and got a spot. We were told there is plenty of space and can camp any where. Before starting a big argument SO pulled the trailer between 2 campers (one in a one man tent and the other sleeping in the back of their bakkie. Luckily we could share half and the one side with the bakkie and the other half with one man tent. The next day they both left and we stayed on two sites now and decided to leave the trailer where its standing after receiving instructions from the office that there is plenty of space the previous day. The next guy that booked in had a huge caravan and not much space to squeze in on one man tent's spot.

My preference is any campsite with shade and well marked campsite with fix rules about the numbers. Thats why Tsendze is tops and next I will try Balule. We try to avoid those "taxi" campsites that always have space for more. \O

Forgot to mention Punda Maria. Love the camp just a pity its so far north. :D

Flutterby

Post by Flutterby »

For me, Tsendze RULES \O Balule comes a close second and then at the bottom of the list Lower Sabie! :( LS has to be the worst camping area anywhere, I would rather camp in my back yard. O/

Peter Betts

Post by Peter Betts »

Campsite 27 Tzendze...Harrys tell your wife ALL Kruger campsites are SAFE as you camp behind electric fences YUCH...Sure ellies come in at campsite 30 and one ellie turns the taps on during the night and leaves them on..We always know when he is in camp as the sound of running water wakes me and I have to get up and turn them off..Tzendze is SAFE.

serval

Post by serval »

I agree on Tsendze , though it is a bit too large for me , and I hear it is best to avoid it over the weekends .
I have been spoiled . I like Tsendze , what is the tourist behaviour situation like with the veteran section ranger having retired , has (as reported with the noise being audible at Shipandane) control been lost ?

Don't even ask , there will be no answers forthcoming ...

25 nights -

(The charcoal is used to speed up the wood fire instead of copious amounts of firelighters.)

serval

Post by serval »

4 weeks ...

Return to “Camping”