Imfolozi - Browns March 2014*

Bushcraft

Re: Imfolozi - Browns March 2014

Post by Bushcraft »

When we arrived back at our unit the full implications of my outburst from earlier began to sink in and as I started the fire I couldn’t help but wonder if anyone would show up.

Around half an hour later my mate and clan arrived, but the “in-laws” were tired from a long day and were going to bed, therefore my conscience was eased and I didn’t have to tap dance further, so got stuck into the dops with my mate and soon forgot about the incident.

At around 8pm the hyena scallywag clan started arriving, which set my mates rats off as they had also never seen a hyena before.

The 1 junior hyena decided that the smell from our braai was just too much for him, so he chose to park off for the evening.

At around 10pm all the rats were starting to collapse, so we called it an evening.

I did my normal “alone in the dark outside” to absorb the silence, but once again started falling asleep which probably had something to do with the amount of “Oros” I had consumed and soon woke with a fright because the junior hyena had approached the veranda and was looking at me from a distance of a few meters, so I decided to duck to bed before I became supper.

To be continued

Bushcraft

Post by Bushcraft »

nan wrote:I think only one Hyena could not be a real danger :-?
but why not becoming a super supper =O:
The hyena aren’t an issue nan \O We often braai with them all around us, just don’t walk off and leave your meat on the fire, because they will steal it off a hot braai grid. I have also noticed that if one sits down they are more confident in their approach. I still wouldn’t let kids walk around though.

I often have a laugh at neighbours who braai and don’t even know that they are surrounded by hyena. I wait until there are at least 4, then switch my torch on and highlight them, which has resulted in many hysterical reactions =O: 0:

It would be a sad day for me if they ever fence Mpila as the hyena and pigs are part of the furniture

However if I spot a Bushpig cruising around I duck for my veranda as they don’t stop in a hurry O-/

Bushcraft

Post by Bushcraft »

I woke later than normal and had a rather thick head, so decided that coffee and a smoke on the veranda would be the best start to the day.

The coffee was just starting to take effect when a shriek and then howling from my mates unit nearly resulted in burnt private parts, so I quickly sent a message asking “what’s up”

It turns out that a confused vervet had decided that his 10 year old boy would make a good addition to his harem and this had seriously and emotionally destroyed the lightie. I couldn’t help cracking up, so fortunately my mate has a good sense of humour.

We packed the car and decided to do Sontuli loop before heading home.

First up was an evil spider which resulted in me stopping the car at an “ellie safe” distance just in case it decided to bail off its web, which would have caused me to evacuate the car.

We just missed 2 Bushpig at the start of the loop and the rest of the road only produced a few zebra, a buff herd and some birds for the Cow.

Bushcraft

Post by Bushcraft »

It was still early when we finished the loop, so we decided to head up towards Bhejane before heading for the gate.

On route we found a few more locals, a tortoise, which for some reason always excites the Cow and then a giraffe who thought that he was an ellie and refused to move.

Bushcraft

Post by Bushcraft »

My mind was starting to wonder back home, which may have had something to do with the fact it was a rather quiet morning, so we decided to do a little of 20 to 21 and then duck for the gate.

A few km up from 20 we found a legavaan who was camera shy and then a junior zebra who had been taken out by something, so I switched off and sat for 30 minutes, but the rats started becoming restless which as per normal tested my patience, so we turned and headed for the gate while all were still breathing.

Bushcraft

Post by Bushcraft »

On route to the gate Hawkeyes snapped a pic of a wildebeest in a compromising position which had us all laughing again, and then an ellie made an appearance and the first raptor of the trip.

Bushcraft

Post by Bushcraft »

Just before existing Albert found an egret and made a long story about getting a pic, so I stopped for her to take the final shot of the trip.

Thanks for checking out this short trip \O

KNP in 2 weeks O/\ O/\ O/\

puppy

Re: Imfolozi - Browns March 2014*

Post by puppy »

As always you had me in fits of laughter, Bushcraft =O:
Those poor ín-laws to get your wrath!
Fab photographs. Giggled too at Hawkeye's Wilde getting it's bottom cleaned lol

https://puppy1952.wordpress.com

Return to “Travel Tales of Hluhluwe/Imfolozi Game Reserve”