Kruger National Park Wild Dogs

Information and Discussion on the Fauna and Flora of the Kruger Park
Bushcraft

Kruger National Park Wild Dogs

Post by Bushcraft »

I get the impression that the wild dog numbers are on the increase in Kruger. An assumption based on the number of sightings over last few months.

What do you guys think?

Lisbeth
Site Admin

Re: Wild Dog Numbers

Post by Lisbeth »

Not only last few months, BC. I have the impression that it is not a rare sighting anymore. Of course I have no personal experience, I only base my observation on the Travel Tales, that I have seen the last year or so.

cheetah

Post by cheetah »

I think so too Bushy
There have been many sightings of the doggies! And most of the packs are large packs!
I know the Orpen Pack has more individuals than when I saw them in December! Hopefully, all the packs are growing healthily

Peter Betts

Post by Peter Betts »

Latest estimate of Wild Dog Numbers in GREATER Kruger Park = 370 dogs

Peter Betts

Post by Peter Betts »

biggest packs are ...Berg en Dal (Seen often at Croc Bridge too), Phalaborwa and Redrocks

Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

Thanks, Peter!

Wild Dog numbers are very tricky, and have always been "estimated" at around 350. That is why a couple of Tourist-driven photographic censusses have been done, with excellent results, starting in the late 80's/early 90's.

However, even those showed strange pack movements and totals, and weird movements by single dogs.

The point is, they are the ultimate nomads, and probably the major carnivores least dependent upon local preferred prey species, territories, water supplies etc.

Also, they are extremely susceptible to canine distemper, rickets and other diseases, which may wipe out most of a pack, causing the rest to disppear as they are very sensitive about their pack structures. In fact, should some new domestic disease reach them, it may be a massive disaster.

Similarly, should lions find and destroy one big cummunal litter of pups, for example, the same result occurs, as Wild Dogs don't just breed like rats, and rely on a complex social structure.

Furthermore, they can move out of the Park onto other adjacent reserves easily, perhaps to den there if they so choose, and return somewhere else in their wanderings, leading to more confusion regarding estimations.

While Southern sightings are very good, and have been so over the last two/three years, this could change easily due to above factors.

Concerning is the apparent extinction in old favourite haunts such as Malopeni/Mahlangeni (Although they have returned to Phalaborwa) and Punda Maria/Pafuri, Olifants, and Shingwedzi...where widespread packs meant a better safeguard against disease and inbreeding.

Once again, though, this may just be apparent, as tourist volumes are miniscule in the vast North compared to the South, so underreporting could play a factor there?

Orpen-Satara has been a "new" area, but holding strong now for more than a decade...so that's good!

The last reliable estimate I know of is around 180 dogs in the Park.

Penga Ndlovu

Post by Penga Ndlovu »

The last count was 394 Wild Dogs left in the whole of South Africa.

Flutterby

New Wild Dogs Introduced into Kruger

Post by Flutterby »

Posted on the SANParks FB page today:
ENDANGERED AFRICAN WILD DOGS INTEGRATE IMPECCABLY INTO KRUGER NATIONAL

Today marks a month since the introduction of the new pack of 8 Wild Dogs into the Kruger National Park. The release of the pack came after a considerable period of observation of the wild dogs in the Boma before the release on 16 September 2017.

The day of the release was a success, the pack followed the bait that was dragged out of the gate making it seem natural. A lone female had been visiting the Boma where the pack was kept for observation frequently despite being chased away a few times; the pack has since accepted the lone female, she has since been seen guiding the new pack around their new home.

The pack of 9 wild dogs incisive of the lone female has managed to stay together. According to satellite locations from satellite collars fitted onto two wild dogs, the pack was discovered in the vicinity of Red Rocks, Shingwedzi Rest Camp before heading downstream to towards Dipeni and then southwards along the border towards Kotsini.

The pack seems to be in a good health status apart from a few minor temporary limps that are most likely due to thorns. They feed regularly, they were spotted killing two female nyalas in front of Shingwedzi Rest Camp on 20 September 2017.

The progress so far is good, further observations are necessary before a concrete conclusion can be made on the integration.

Flutterby

Re: New Wild Dogs Introduced into Kruger

Post by Flutterby »

Are these the same ones RobT and Leachy saw recently?

RobertT

Re: New Wild Dogs Introduced into Kruger

Post by RobertT »

Yup, that's the same ones. \O

Return to “Fauna and Flora of Kruger Park”