Re: Rhino horns stolen from MTPA
Posted: Thu May 22, 2014 1:51 pm
Rhino horn theft investigated
May 22 2014 9:24AM
PETER RAMOTHWALA
A Hawks' probe into the multimillion-rand theft of rhino horns in Mpumalanga is at an advanced stage.
The horns went missing after a burglary at the Mpumalanga Tourism and Parks Agency (MTPA) offices that saw 112 pieces of rhino horn weighing 80.135kg stolen from a secure safe last month.
Security personnel on site discovered the break-in.
Nkambule said these were pieces mainly from dehorning operations conducted.
Spokesperson for the unit, Capt Paul Ramaloko, confirmed the investigation but did not say when arrests were likely.
However, the CEO of the MTPA, Jacques Modipane, who was placed on special leave a few days after the theft of the horns, is back at work.
The MTPA has launched a parallel investigation into the matter.
Spokesperson for MTPA, Kholofelo Nkambule, confirmed that Modipane was back at work without completing the 14 days special leave he had been put on.
MTPA board chairperson Clarah Ndlovu removed Modipane from his post but Ndlovu herself was later suspended for not consulting with MEC Yvonne Phosa.
In a report in 2010, private investigator Paul O’Sullivan had called on the MPTA to relocate the horns, saying they were not safe and the agency could not store them.
But Nkambule said the new administration under Modipane had not seen the report.
“The pieces taken were kept in our storage to register them and later move them to another secure location where the bulk of stock is kept.
“Some of the pieces of rhino horn were micro-chipped, DNA sampled and photographed according to the National Norms and Standards,” she said.
peterr@thenewage.co.za
May 22 2014 9:24AM
PETER RAMOTHWALA
A Hawks' probe into the multimillion-rand theft of rhino horns in Mpumalanga is at an advanced stage.
The horns went missing after a burglary at the Mpumalanga Tourism and Parks Agency (MTPA) offices that saw 112 pieces of rhino horn weighing 80.135kg stolen from a secure safe last month.
Security personnel on site discovered the break-in.
Nkambule said these were pieces mainly from dehorning operations conducted.
Spokesperson for the unit, Capt Paul Ramaloko, confirmed the investigation but did not say when arrests were likely.
However, the CEO of the MTPA, Jacques Modipane, who was placed on special leave a few days after the theft of the horns, is back at work.
The MTPA has launched a parallel investigation into the matter.
Spokesperson for MTPA, Kholofelo Nkambule, confirmed that Modipane was back at work without completing the 14 days special leave he had been put on.
MTPA board chairperson Clarah Ndlovu removed Modipane from his post but Ndlovu herself was later suspended for not consulting with MEC Yvonne Phosa.
In a report in 2010, private investigator Paul O’Sullivan had called on the MPTA to relocate the horns, saying they were not safe and the agency could not store them.
But Nkambule said the new administration under Modipane had not seen the report.
“The pieces taken were kept in our storage to register them and later move them to another secure location where the bulk of stock is kept.
“Some of the pieces of rhino horn were micro-chipped, DNA sampled and photographed according to the National Norms and Standards,” she said.
peterr@thenewage.co.za