Re: Rhino horns stolen from MTPA
Posted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 1:37 pm
Lowvelder: Alleged horn thief apparently transported horns to Mozambique
The accused was a taxi owner who did business in Mozambique holding permits to travel as far as Gaza, Masinga and Maputo
Tereasa Ferrari | 17 June 2014 16:20
MBOMBELA – The rhino horns taken from the safe of the Mpumalanga Tourism and Parks Agency (MTPA) were apparently taken through the Lebombo Border Post to Mozambique.
This is according to state prosecutor Ms Ansie Venter who argued in the bail application of Mr Leonard Sizwe Malatjie (31) and Mr Ali Gideon Mtshali (51) in the local District Court earlier today. They are being charged with housebreaking and theft after the incident at the MTPA on April 20. A total of 112 rhino horns worth millions of rand were stolen.
Mtshali testified that he had two wives and one of them was a police official. Venter stated during cross-examination that his wife had warned another suspect, Mr Shadrick Sikonde, that he had been apprehended and that police were looking for him. She accused him of having inside information into police activities because of his spouse.
Mtshali stated that upon his arrest at his home in KaNyamazane, the SAPS had taken him to a building in Mbombela where they assaulted and threatened him if he didn’t sign an affidavit. He said the police had also never read him his rights upon his arrest. He added that he had previous convictions from 1988 for attempted murder, theft of a motor vehicle and reckless and negligent driving.
According to Mtshali, he was a taxi owner who did business in Mozambique holding permits to travel as far as Gaza, Masinga and Maputo. He claimed at the time of the incident he had been in Mozambique and only arrived back in South Africa the following day. His defence handed in a copy of his passport. Mtshali told the court he intended to plead not guilty to the charges.
Venter said the state didn’t dispute him not being at the crime scene, but that Malatjie had convinced him to transport the horns to the neighbouring country and the passport had validated Mtshali’s statement to police.
“Why would police, if they had assaulted you and made up this whole statement, not put you at the scene of the crime? Why would it validate what your passport states that you only came back to South Africa after your co-accused phoned you about the horns? The police had CCTV footage of you and two other men at the toll gates and at Lebombo Border Post,” said Venter.
The hearing stood down and would continue on Thursday and Friday due to court time constraints.
The accused was a taxi owner who did business in Mozambique holding permits to travel as far as Gaza, Masinga and Maputo
Tereasa Ferrari | 17 June 2014 16:20
MBOMBELA – The rhino horns taken from the safe of the Mpumalanga Tourism and Parks Agency (MTPA) were apparently taken through the Lebombo Border Post to Mozambique.
This is according to state prosecutor Ms Ansie Venter who argued in the bail application of Mr Leonard Sizwe Malatjie (31) and Mr Ali Gideon Mtshali (51) in the local District Court earlier today. They are being charged with housebreaking and theft after the incident at the MTPA on April 20. A total of 112 rhino horns worth millions of rand were stolen.
Mtshali testified that he had two wives and one of them was a police official. Venter stated during cross-examination that his wife had warned another suspect, Mr Shadrick Sikonde, that he had been apprehended and that police were looking for him. She accused him of having inside information into police activities because of his spouse.
Mtshali stated that upon his arrest at his home in KaNyamazane, the SAPS had taken him to a building in Mbombela where they assaulted and threatened him if he didn’t sign an affidavit. He said the police had also never read him his rights upon his arrest. He added that he had previous convictions from 1988 for attempted murder, theft of a motor vehicle and reckless and negligent driving.
According to Mtshali, he was a taxi owner who did business in Mozambique holding permits to travel as far as Gaza, Masinga and Maputo. He claimed at the time of the incident he had been in Mozambique and only arrived back in South Africa the following day. His defence handed in a copy of his passport. Mtshali told the court he intended to plead not guilty to the charges.
Venter said the state didn’t dispute him not being at the crime scene, but that Malatjie had convinced him to transport the horns to the neighbouring country and the passport had validated Mtshali’s statement to police.
“Why would police, if they had assaulted you and made up this whole statement, not put you at the scene of the crime? Why would it validate what your passport states that you only came back to South Africa after your co-accused phoned you about the horns? The police had CCTV footage of you and two other men at the toll gates and at Lebombo Border Post,” said Venter.
The hearing stood down and would continue on Thursday and Friday due to court time constraints.