A short October trip to the Island of Rhodes (Greece)

Share your 'non-green' travel tales here.
Lisbeth
Site Admin

Re: A short October trip to the Island of Rhodes (Greece)

Post by Lisbeth »

There was still one thing that we had to see: Ancient Kamiros.

The ancient city was built on three levels. At the top of the hill was the acropolis, with the temple complex of Athena Kameiras and the stoa. A covered reservoir having a capacity of 600 cubic meters of water—enough for up to 400 families—was constructed about the sixth century BC. Later, the stoa was built over the reservoir. The stoa consisted of two rows of Doric columns with rooms for shops or lodgings in the rear.

The main settlement was on the middle terrace, consisting of a grid of parallel streets and residential blocks. On the lower terrace are found a Doric temple, probably to Apollo; the Fountain House, with the Agora in front of it; and Peribolos of the Altars, which contained dedications to various deities.

During the prehistoric period the area was inhabited by Mycenaean Greeks. The city itself was founded by the Dorians. The temple foundations were begun at least as early as the eighth century BC. The earthquake of 226 BC destroyed the city and the temple. The earthquake of 142 BC destroyed the city for the second time.

The Acropolis was excavated by Alfred Biliotti and Auguste Salzmann (de) between 1852 and 1864. In 1928 the Italian Archaeological School began a systematic excavation of the area together with restoration work which continued until the end of the Second World War.

In order to be able to face another few hours of ancient stones, we first stopped along the coast for lunch.

Parking we found one of Sharifa's Cycads O:V

The view from the restaurant

The lunch was a grilled Grouper

This was the best grilled fish that I have ever eaten and I can assure you that I have eaten a lot! It was tasty, the meat was firm, to make it short it was absolutely delicious O/\ O/\

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
The desire for equality must never exceed the demands of knowledge
Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

Invigorated by this great meal, matched with the excellent white wine of Rhodes, we faced bravely the ancient town/stones of Kamiros :yes:

Taken from the Acropolis

This was a big one, at least 20 cm. Perfect place....lots of hot stones =O:

A small one liked this fallen head ;-)

There was a lovely view

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

That was more or less our ten days spent in Rhodes, apart from some small curiosities.

One day we wanted to go to what is supposed to be one of the best restaurants in the town of Rhodes, but on arrival a sign announced: "Closed due to power black out" :-? I was convinced that we were still in Europe and not in SA, but then again, we were geographically almost in Africa =O:

We ended up at a place, where you could buy a toasted sandwich for €1.00 (R14) and a beer at shop price. You took the beer our of the fridge and they gave you a plastic glass. The Sandwich was served, when it was ready in a kind paper envelope. There were a couple of tables and chairs and nice umbrellas. Actually it was a shop with this extra service. We went more than once O**

The police closed an eye if you parked on the yellow stipes, as long as you did not disturb the traffic. How they cope i high season is a mystery -O-

Bye, bye Rhodes 0/*

Toko

Post by Toko »

Lovely dragon ^Q^ ^Q^ ^Q^

The ancient peeps knew the best places for their sites to build, always with panoramic view O:V

Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

Excellent! \O

I also have an Ancient Kamiros...but it takes good pics sometimes! :twisted:

Why don't you people cut the heads and tails off your fish? And what are those leaves you eat? 0-

Agree about grouper...here we call it Rock Cod...difficult to get hold of! 0*\ O\/

Thanks very much for all of this, Lis! 0/0

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596
Dewi

Post by Dewi »

Mmmmmm, Fish. Tasty. O/\

Great pics again Lis. Thanks for posting your little jaunt for us to see here. ^Q^ X#X

Dewi

What is the good of having a nice house without a decent planet to put it on? (H D Thoreau)
Bushcraft

Post by Bushcraft »

That fish is making me hungry :O^

Beautiful place and great pics once again O:V ^Q^ ^Q^ ^Q^

The beaches look cool, did you see anyone fishing O**

Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

Bushcraft wrote:
I don't think so, but I am sure that they do ;-)

They do ;-)

Flutterby

Post by Flutterby »

What stunning views everywhere Lis!! \O \O

That fish looks delish and I would say the leaves are rocket...also delish!! \O \O By the way, how was the wine? :twisted: lol

Thanks so much for sharing Lis, it was wonderful to see a totally different part of the world! \O

Bushcraft

Post by Bushcraft »

Lisbeth wrote:
Bushcraft wrote:
I don't think so, but I am sure that they do ;-)

They do ;-)

and it looks like a similar setup as fisherman this side of the world O/\

Return to “Travel Tales from around the World”