Lake Eland

Bushcraft

Lake Eland

Post by Bushcraft »

Howzit all 0/*

I had some free time at work this morning, so decided to do a quick little TT of our trip to Lake Eland in the Oribi gorge on the 7th of February.

It was a last minute decision, so we weren’t particularly organized and I left my camera at home, so all pics are compliments of the Cows point and shoot camera which she shared with Hawkeyes.

We had heavy rain in Toti on the Friday night, so I wasn’t that enthusiastic about an early start and my old lady had also decided to come with us, therefore I was a little concerned about how 6 of us were going to fit in my bakkie, but we made it with a squeeze and arrived at around 10am on Saturday, but as we were only staying for 1 night it didn’t leave us much time to explore.

The Cow and I last visited Oribi gorge on our honeymoon (don’t ask how many years ago that was) and we had never visited Lake Eland before, so this was a new experience for everyone.

They have a few antelope species, zebra, giraffe, wildebeest, etc and they permit bass fishing for overnight guests, which was the main reason for our visit.

Bushpig immediately decided to let everybody know that we had arrived much to my embarrassment

The entrance or reception restaurant area offered fairly cool surroundings

Bushpig and Albert spotted the kids play area so took off that direction, I went to check out the dam, the old lady parked off on a bench and the Cow and Hawkeyes charged off after bugs

I then realized that we were getting the evil eye because we hadn’t been to reception or told anyone who we were, so the Cow tried her luck to organize our unit, but was told to return at 1pm, however we were free to explore the area.

We decided to check out the units first which are on 2 of the dams. Our unit was on the bottom dam which we found to be a better setting then the top dam.

We were told at reception not to drive down to the main dam as people were getting stuck due to the previous evening’s rain, but we could see it from a road above. Camping is permitted next to this dam and there are a few dormitory style cabins also.

To be continued

Bushcraft

Re: Lake Eland

Post by Bushcraft »

Bushpig had heard about a zip line tour while at reception, so the nagging started to check it out, however I hit a speed wobble when we arrived because of the price.

For all of us to do the tour would have cost more than the overnight accommodation, so we decided to give it a miss and head for some caves we had been told about
The walkway down to the caves looks fairly flat initially, so Albert and Bushpig, who were over excited, took off which resulted in me having to charge after them while the Cow and Hawkeyes wobbled slowly on behind us. The old lady decided it was safer to remain in the car.

The gradient only increased so I couldn’t help but grin when I wondered what was happening behind us with the Cow and Hawkeyes, but looking later at the Cow’s face in the picture below I could see that she wasn’t that happy.

The caves are on the edge of a cliff face, so it only gets more hairy if one is afraid of heights and Hawkeyes decided it wasn’t her cup of tea, but the view is fantastic.

By the time the Cow and Hawkeyes made it down to us we were ready to walk back out, however there is a “plastic bushmen” staged in the bottom cave which caused a small skrik for the younger rats who initially thought it was a real person. We took our time walking back up so we could enjoy the view.

A few km further on is a suspension bridge and I wasn’t keen when we arrived, but Bushpig decided it was cool and charged off down to the bridge, so I had to follow and Albert decided to cruise on the bridge behind me, however chirped the entire time for me to hurry up. It’s strange how young kids often have no fear.

I never thought that the Cow and Hawkeyes would follow, but I think Hawkeyes realized that Bushpig and Albert would rip her off forever if she never did it, so she started slowly across and then the Cow followed. At one stage I thought there may be a panic attack and a rescue required, but they made it across.

The little thatched spot at the end of the bridge is called “eagles nest” and again the Cow’s pelican is obvious

We then did the forest walk which takes one back around to the car park above the bridge and it’s the safer option.

Bushpig then spotted another thing to terrorize me and then told me to stand guard so she could use it.

To be continued

Bushcraft

Post by Bushcraft »

It was now around 12:30pm so we headed back to the reception restaurant area for hamburgers on the deck and to book in. We found a few locals on the short drive back.

The chow and service was surprisingly very good and I can definitely recommend their burgers. We later found out that their hamburgers are well known and people drive for many km just to eat there.

A few minutes after unpacking Bushpig was off with her fishing rod and was the first on the board with a bass.

This got the other 2 rats operating and soon the entire family was fishing, including the old lady who caught a bass off the veranda of our unit.

Albert started to develop a pelican as Bushpig was giving her carrots in the fishing department, so I went to assist and she was soon also catching tiny bass, but Bushpig just kept on adding to her count.

This continued all afternoon and we probably caught around 50 fish between us but nothing bigger than 300mm in size, however it was good fun for the kids and better than a weekend in front of the TV.

Hawkeyes and the cow chased bugs around between casts

To be continued

PRWIN

Post by PRWIN »

^Q^ ^Q^ ^Q^ okay ,not sure if So or Mushi would have gone over that bridge :no: :no: :no: Great setting and photo,s

PS how deep was that Loo 500m drop??? :shock: O-/ =O: =O: =O:
Last edited by PRWIN on Fri Mar 06, 2015 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

http://prwinnan.wix.com/prwinnan-photography
harrys

Post by harrys »

Beautiful scenery and great photos ^Q^ ^Q^

KTP: Twee Rivieren 12 to 13 May
KNP: May be one day again??
Toko

Post by Toko »

That's outdoor adventure :shock: and spectacular views ^Q^ ^Q^ ^Q^

The female Browns take better photos with a point and shoot than you do with your fancy thingie =O: =O: =O: Great captures of the Elegant Grasshopper and the Black-tailed Skimmer O:V O:V O:V

What's the accommodation like?

Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

This continued all afternoon and we probably caught around 50 fish between us but nothing bigger than 300mm in size, however it was good fun for the kids and better than a weekend in front of the TV.

well done, The Browns! ;-)

Very good to see, will definitely visit Oribi Gorge at some stage!

Everything looks clean and sorted! \O

Family healthy! O/\

SO sexy as always...

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596
nan

Post by nan »

you have a lot of pearls all over :-0 O/\
you don't you remember... we were immortal when we was young O**
is the loo often occupied :-?

splendid O/\ ^Q^ ^Q^ ^Q^
:ty:

Kgalagadi lover… for ever
https://safrounet.piwigo.com/
Pumbaa

Post by Pumbaa »

What a lovely report, Bushcraft \O

Looks like a lovely area to relax O\/

PuMbAa

Please visit our website: www.photomaniacs.de
Peter Connan

Post by Peter Connan »

Stunning views from the cave and eagle's nest!

Return to “Travel Tales of Other KZN Parks”