Advice / Opinions, please!

General Information & Discussions on South African National Parks
Polentswa

Re: Advice / Opinions, please!

Post by Polentswa »

Addo can be noisy ..train line right there at main camp..so try for camp Matyholweni in the Colchester Section in the South (No Restaurant etc but lovely accommodation ) ...where the lions are anyway or for a real bush experience book Spekboom Tented camp (Self catering but very popular so book now ) Mt Zebra is Fabulous and lots to see so 5 days is GREAT and the Karoo Midlands is far nicer than Addo's sub Tropical thicket ..I love Addo as it is only 43 Kms from my PE House :-) Mt Zebra also has beautifully private Mt Huts which need 4x4 to get to or 4x2 high clearance if you have good off road skills ..Really special up in the Mts ..I couls spend 2 weeks there ..wonderful photo opps too
Last edited by Polentswa on Sat May 02, 2015 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mabuasehube and Caprivi are calling
PJL

Post by PJL »

Mel wrote:Our minds are set on Addo and Mountain Zebra and the only question
we ask ourselves is: 7 nights in Addo and 3 in Mountain Zebra, or 6 and 4. :-?
O/\ O/\ O/\ O/\

Question... which park are you planning on visiting first? And would you be travelling to it after arrival in PE?

PJL

Post by PJL »

And yes - Peter is spot on about Spekboom... that's worth a couple of nights and it might not have been open last time you visited? -O-

Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

Storms River Mouth 3 - Addo 4 - Mountain Zebra 3 if you do not want to try something new O**

Had not seen the last two posts......so don't know -O-

What about another country O** --00-- --00--

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
The desire for equality must never exceed the demands of knowledge
Mel
Global Moderator

Post by Mel »

Another country is out of discussion since flights are booked, Lis lol Otherwise, the same as I said before... We don't want to move around too much
but rather stay in longer in few place. O:V

Peter, thanks for that advice! Exactly what we've been considering as well... The mountain cottages look nice and offer exactly the solitude that
we're looking for. As does the guesthouse, I suppose. Anything which is not in the main camp. lol And I agree on the great photo opps in MZNP ^Q^
As for Addo - we'll definitely stay at Matyholweni, but I haven't looked into Spekboom Camp yet. I'll do that now. \O

PJL, we're still toying with what park to go to first. At the moment it seems as if we'll do Addo first. ..0..

God put me on earth to accomplish a certain amount of things. Right now I'm so far behind that I'll never die.
nan

Post by nan »

6/7 nights in Addo... 2 at Spekboom... 2 in the South and 2/3 in the North
Spekboom in a little bit spartiat, but so nice, private and special with a nice hide

sorry I don't know Mountain Zebra 0*\

O/\

Kgalagadi lover… for ever
https://safrounet.piwigo.com/
arks

Post by arks »

Jumping in here a bit late, Mel, but I'd go for more time at MZNP. Yes, it's a small park, but every drive is different (IMO). My first visit there was only 4 nights and I felt it was (way) too short. I'm returning this year for 7 nights and am sure that I won't feel that it's too long. Mountain Zebra offers the chance to see some rare mammals -- aardwolf and if you're really lucky, blackfooted cat -- and also the unique cheetah tracking activity, which I can highly recommend. Being 15-20 metres from a wild (and very relaxed) cheetah on foot is an unforgettable experience!

I personally did not much care for Addo when I visited (after MZNP), for 3 nights main camp and 2 at Mathyloweni. I found the Addo scenery rather monotonous and wished that I had had more time at MZ and less at Addo.

And I very much enjoyed Tsitsikama, even tho both the activities that I had hoped to do there -- the bridge and the boat trip up the gorge -- were not on offer for various reasons (bad weather, rennovations). While 3 nights might be too long a stay (especially if you can't do the bridge and the boat trip), there are a variety of walks/hikes and I found just watching the sea and the birds there very rewarding. If you decide on a couple of nights there, go for the honeymoon chalets, very private and right on the water's edge.

Mel
Global Moderator

Post by Mel »

Thank you, arks! The deed is done now though lol But I decided on the 4 nights versus the 3 nights in Mountain Zebra and I even indulged us and booked the guest house because I like the idea of being all by myself after gate closing time. I would have loved to do the cottages too, but we are not much into packing up every other day and always try to stay at least 3 nights in one place. Another downside is that in 2012 it was extremely cold when were there at the end of March, beginning of April and I found the idea of having to shower in the cold not very appealing. :o0ps:

I will keep your advice for Tsitsikamma and the honey moon unit in my mind though! Thanks. \O

God put me on earth to accomplish a certain amount of things. Right now I'm so far behind that I'll never die.
arks

Post by arks »

Is that Doornhoek, which I know is being restored after the devastating fire. It is in a gorgeous location with its own dam and I'm sure that you will enjoy it. I, being a solo travelled and not keen about being all alone in more remote locations, have only stayed in the main camp, but those chalets are very nice and I've had the one at the very top, which is quite private and with a lovely view. Altho the camp is now fenced, I had eland right outside the (quite close) fence one morning there.

I know that you will enjoy MZNP -- do you plan on doing the cheetah tracking? -- and I know that I'm in the minority in not much caring for Addo. I certainly have no interest in a return Addo visit, while I'm very much looking forward to my week at MZ, even tho I know that it will be VERY cold in July 0- . However, this is my best chance for a return MZ visit, which hasn't fit in with my other RSA plans since my first MZ visit. On the plus side, seeing snow there might be interesting (and it will be warm in my car whilst doing drives lol ).

Have a great trip!

Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

Just saying....not cold in Kruger in March....cheetah there too... O**

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596

Return to “South African National Parks in General”