Swadini

Richprins
Committee Member

Swadini

Post by Richprins »

Ensnared waterbuck put down
Animals getting caught in snares is a constant worry in Limpopo.
4 hours ago

A waterbuck had to be put down yesterday at Swadini Holiday Resort, near the Mpumalanga and Limpopo border, after it was caught in a snare.

According to the founder of Mpumalanga Animal Crime Watch, Jaco Klopper, the buck was in a very weak condition with a broken back leg and had to be shot this afternoon. Klopper said the group had gotten permission from the Mpumalanga Tourism and Parks Agency (MTPA) to shoot the buck, as their team were unable to reach Swadini in time.

Holidaymaker Johan van Rensburg said he had seen the animal limping around the camp yesterday afternoon, Letaba Herald reported.

He said he then saw the animal trying to get up and walk at about 8pm that night. “It looked like it was in terrible pain, we notified the managers here at the resort. They contacted Moholoholo Rehab Centre, but because of the jurisdiction of Limpopo and Mpumalanga borders, they had to get a vet from Nelspruit,” said Van Rensburg.

Klopper said he could not understand why a vet had to come so far when there was help much closer at hand. Van Rensburg said he had even phoned the Parks Board himself trying to get the animal help. Klopper said he was notified via Facebook about the waterbuck and then phoned to see if he could assist.

“As soon as I had received permission from the board, I sent my team out there to meet the vet. Unfortunately, the buck was too weak to save,” said Klopper.

He added that the Swadini Resort had requested his team to go into their reserve and remove any more snares left by poachers.

Animals getting ensnared by suspected poachers was a constant worry in the province, a local farmer said.

Johan Wepener, who recently found several traps on his property, explained that the scale of this type of poaching is not limited to wild animals. He said smaller animals and even domestic pets were vulnerable to snares, Review Online reported.

“In the past few months I lost many smaller animals like rabbits and mongooses, of which I had three breeding pairs. I have also lost young antelope.”

“Recently, I had to have my golden retriever’s paw amputated after it got caught in one of the snares. My grandson was also injured quite badly when he accidentally stepped into one of the snares,” said Wepener.

Meanwhile, René Olivier from the Crown Rehabilitation Centre in Polokwane said the “wrong” animals often get caught in traps set by people trying to catch food.

“The solution is not an easy one. People will remain hungry and the cycle of poaching will continue.” she said.

http://lowvelder.co.za/lnn/125837/ensna ... k-put-down

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596

Return to “Limpopo Province Game Parks & Nature Reserves”