Addo Elephant NP: Lions

Information & Discussions on Addo Elephant National Park
Klipspringer
Global Moderator

Re: Addo Elephant NP: Lions

Post by Klipspringer »

If there is a vacancy in Shamwari, it may work - otherwise the youngster will get serious (0!) from the local coalitions.

Usually young males are not moved alone -O-

PJL

Post by PJL »

Fingers crossed it works out. Going to miss seeing him 0:

Peter Betts

Post by Peter Betts »

I've never seen any Lion since the day I said my final Good Bye to this fellow before he went to Mt Zebra so dont know this Shamwari Dude at all
Addo Breakfast.jpg

Mel
Global Moderator

Post by Mel »

PJL wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 8:49 am Fingers crossed it works out. Going to miss seeing him 0:
PJL, can you help my memory out here, please:

Josie is a daughter of Gina and Gina of Aardlam - am I correct?

If that was the case, then Addo's management decision to send Jack off to a different reserve would be a wise one.
Although it hurts that another beau has gone to a private reserve that is so expensive that not many people can go and visit the old Addo boys again. :-(

God put me on earth to accomplish a certain amount of things. Right now I'm so far behind that I'll never die.
Mel
Global Moderator

Post by Mel »

Peter Betts wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 1:43 pm I've never seen any Lion since the day I said my final Good Bye to this fellow before he went to Mt Zebra so dont know this Shamwari Dude at all
Peter, how often do you visit Addo on average in a month? Just asking because I'm curious about the likability of finding lions in Addo these days.

God put me on earth to accomplish a certain amount of things. Right now I'm so far behind that I'll never die.
Peter Betts

Post by Peter Betts »

Mel, Jane and I go for a day about once a month from April to Sept (Winter Months) when the unchanging 07h00 entry times mean that there is still a small amount of fairly decent light >> They dont change the times like other Natiional Parks >> Trade Union Power in the E Cape. but Mt Zebra does change times. To answer your question >> we havent seen lions there for 2 yrs at least. Much better chance atMt Zebra and besides all the Addo lions are collared and look like Bull Mastiff Dogs rather than regal Lions lol lol. Better looking lions like Nomad and Roy at Mt Zebra (Ex Addo) , Sylvester the famous Kalahari lion now at Kuzuko Lodge (North West remote Addo Concession area) after misbehaving at Karoo 2x has grown into a BEAST of note a magnificent speciman . No camping there so never go and no self drive either so no good for me sadly

Mel
Global Moderator

Post by Mel »

Well, look at Jack. I'm sure he'll be as awesome as Sylvester and only a few selected ones will be able to visit him at Shamwari.
Yet, I understand the concern for a broad gene pool. The drought explanation however, seems a bit dof, since Shamwari is just around the corner and most likely equally dry...

Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

Is Addo more expensive than the other Sanparks? :-?

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
The desire for equality must never exceed the demands of knowledge
Mel
Global Moderator

Post by Mel »

No, but Shamwari and Kuzuko are private reserves. Jack went to Shamwari and Sylvester has been in the Kuzuko for quite some time now.

Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

I see! :ty:

With all the lions that you have in KTP, how come that you are so interested in seeing lions in Addo? lol

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
The desire for equality must never exceed the demands of knowledge

Return to “Addo Elephant National Park”