Addo Elephant NP: Lions

Information & Discussions on Addo Elephant National Park
Mel
Global Moderator

Re: Addo Elephant NP: Lions

Post by Mel »

My last trip, which agreeably was some time ago already, was filled with lion sightings and they do have handsome and impressive lions in Addo. Or at least they used to. The current girls are still very pretty [Luv] , but the both males I find not as impressive as their predecessors. Jack was (and still is) a majestic character. So, from the tourist side I find it sad that they took that icon away. Especially since he is the offspring of the former Addo icon Aardlam. But again - I understand why they had to do it.

God put me on earth to accomplish a certain amount of things. Right now I'm so far behind that I'll never die.
Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

So, if I have understood correctly, you'd not go back to Addo, if you do not have the possibility to see lions?

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
The desire for equality must never exceed the demands of knowledge
Mel
Global Moderator

Post by Mel »

Nope, that's not what I said. I just find it sad that the last really beautiful male has gone. ;-)

God put me on earth to accomplish a certain amount of things. Right now I'm so far behind that I'll never die.
Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

Yes, a pity \O

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
The desire for equality must never exceed the demands of knowledge
Peter Betts

Post by Peter Betts »

Lisbeth wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 10:43 am I see! :ty:

With all the lions that you have in KTP, how come that you are so interested in seeing lions in Addo? lol
Because Addo had PROPER lions when they introduced them in 2003
Sunrise at Marion Barrie.jpg
Big Click 0/* lol

PJL

Post by PJL »

Mel wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 11:47 pm
PJL wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 8:49 am Fingers crossed it works out. Going to miss seeing him 0:
PJL, can you help my memory out here, please:

Josie is a daughter of Gina and Gina of Aardlam - am I correct?

If that was the case, then Addo's management decision to send Jack off to a different reserve would be a wise one.
Although it hurts that another beau has gone to a private reserve that is so expensive that not many people can go and visit the old Addo boys again. :-(
0/* Mel

Josie is daughter of Gina, and Gina is the daughter of Kamkwa - one of the original lionesses introduced to Addo. So Jack was completely unrelated to any of the other lions currently in the park. O**

PJL

Post by PJL »

Peter Betts wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 8:02 am Mel, Jane and I go for a day about once a month from April to Sept (Winter Months) when the unchanging 07h00 entry times mean that there is still a small amount of fairly decent light >> They dont change the times like other Natiional Parks >> Trade Union Power in the E Cape. but Mt Zebra does change times. To answer your question >> we havent seen lions there for 2 yrs at least. Much better chance atMt Zebra and besides all the Addo lions are collared and look like Bull Mastiff Dogs rather than regal Lions lol lol. Better looking lions like Nomad and Roy at Mt Zebra (Ex Addo) , Sylvester the famous Kalahari lion now at Kuzuko Lodge (North West remote Addo Concession area) after misbehaving at Karoo 2x has grown into a BEAST of note a magnificent speciman . No camping there so never go and no self drive either so no good for me sadly
Ja the collars are rather intrusive... but MZNP lions have them as well. Roy & Nomad's manes do a good job of covering them, plus a couple of lionesses we've seen there before have them 0*\

Mel
Global Moderator

Post by Mel »

PJL wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 5:55 pmJosie is daughter of Gina, and Gina is the daughter of Kamkwa - one of the original lionesses introduced to Addo. So Jack was completely unrelated to any of the other lions currently in the park. O**
Then the last part of their media release is all BS 0'

Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

Peter made the SANParks pages!

SANParks
@SANParks
Picture of the day Peter Betts #AddoElephantNationalPark #LiveYourWild #SANParks
8:06 PM · Jan 14, 2022

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596
Mel
Global Moderator

Post by Mel »

^Q^ ^Q^ ^Q^ ^Q^ ^Q^

Return to “Addo Elephant National Park”