Table for One - my first solo safari

ExFmem

Re: Table for One - my first solo safari

Post by ExFmem »

nan and Sis - glad you can relate to my toilet paper complaint. I thought maybe it was just me that even noticed.

nan - "about the paper, you are so right, we need a km of it" =O: \O
Also like the story of the wind blowing the entire roll throughout your room - maybe you need to put a rock on the roll when you're not home. ;-)

Sis - "One of the sandgrouses has layed eggs" =O: I didn't think of that, but it sure looks like it! :-0

Pumbaa - thanks!

RP - "The insects may sometimes be new, have you got hold of Prof. Braack yet?"
No, there are lots of links in Toko's invertebrate book thread, and ID guides on the internet, so I usually try to ID them myself first, just haven't gotten to it yet. I will definitely contact him when I hit a brick wall. O/ :ty:

ExFmem

Post by ExFmem »

Sightings in the Nossob area were extremely few and far between, so I was happy to be heading back to the Auob and Mata Mata for my last 3 nights. ^Q^ The drive from Nossob to the upper Dune Road, then over to the Auob was LONG and uneventful. I did not take a single photo from 7A - 9:30A, so was very happy to return to the other side.

The very sickly lion last seen at the giraffe carcass was drinking at the waterhole, but I did not even stop - too painful to watch. Some of my sightings on the drive to Mata Mata:

Rock Kestral

Wildebeest w/ a mud facial

A mating pair of lions

Hyena

Red-necked Falcon

and another Lanner Falcon w/ its Namaqua Dove dinner

About 8PM 2 lionesses showed up at the waterhole, with a jackal making an absolute jackal-ass out of himself - staying right on their heels calling at the top of his lungs. They didn't seem fazed, so I assume they were both deaf. About 3A some male lions engaged one another in a roaring contest, which was wonderful, unless one wanted some sleep. O**

ExFmem

Post by ExFmem »

Other sightings during my stay:
LBR

Laughing Doves

Gemsbok w/ little one

and a sad scene w/ the sickly lion laying beside the carcass :-( (this is 2 1/2 weeks after the takedown). Not even sure whether he was alive or not at this point.

I came upon the 4 Musketeers once again about 1 km south of the Vertiende waterhole.

The PM drive was exasperating due to mating lions in the middle of the road and 1 single car that was blocking the passing lane and would not budge - so I sat watching mainly immobile lions for over 30 minutes. @#$ @#$

(Note: the car in the pic is NOT the culprit - they were on the side of the sightings, as is required. The offending car was to their left. GR-R-R) 0=

ExFmem

Post by ExFmem »

Took some bug pics on the patio and was delighted to see 2 long-nose plant hoppers show up. I hadn't seen them attracted to lights before, and they are probably my most favorite category of insect due to their exotic shapes and, on many, colors.

Also a praying (preying) mantis

My last drive of the trip was down to Twee Riv. to overnight before heading home. Along the way were a Pygmy Falcon,

a strange 3-way "fight" (usually have only seen 2 jousting) amongst giraffes,

and the adorable, but dimwitted, squirrels who decided to construct their home right in the middle if the road . Must be like living next to an airport.

I thoroughly enjoyed my first solo trip, and would certainly do it again. :yes: It's a chance to be totally selfish, doing exactly what you wish 24/7, but the downside is, of course, there's no one to share in your excitement and no one to lug all your "stuff". It also gives you a sense of independence and renewed youthfulness.

As they say, "You're only as old as you feel".
So don't go around feeling old people. ;-)

Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

and 1 single car that was blocking the passing lane and would not budge
Why did you not get out of the car and tell him @#$ :-? =O:
2 long-nose plant hoppers
Never seen and did not even know that they exist :shock: ^Q^ ^Q^

Three giraffes doing the neck battle :shock: O-/ -O-

The nose touching squirrels are gorgeous O\/ O\/ but also very egocentric and reckless 0*\ Stupid little darling squirrels 0/0 lol

When are you going next time? I love your TTs O/\ O/\

P.S. the LBR is beautiful \O and the musketeers are wonderful cats ^Q^ ^Q^

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
The desire for equality must never exceed the demands of knowledge
nan

Post by nan »

The 3 Mouketeers O\/ O\/ O\/
Praying Mantis O/\ O/\ O/\ never saw... must do :-0
love the 2 "nasa" insectes O/\
also the magnificent LBR O/\

and the Falcon, so "dexterous" can prepare a Dove O/\ ... but poor Namaqua :-(
and so cute Squirrels O/\

it seems there will be a lot of babies... Lions's babies \O

^Q^ ^Q^ ^Q^

Kgalagadi lover… for ever
https://safrounet.piwigo.com/
Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

Astounding pics, Ex! ^Q^ ^Q^ ^Q^ 0:

I agree with your synopsis that those lions are indeed mating. :yes:

I like the mantis, a sleek model and great shot! \O

Thanks so much for this quality report, visual and narrative, and very insightful for solo KTP trippers! O0

:ty:

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596
Dewi

Post by Dewi »

:o0ps: Missed a couple of posts here.

Great raptor pics. ^Q^ The rest re also excellent, but I really like raptors. \O

(Scooby Doo also says "Rut-roh.").

Dewi

What is the good of having a nice house without a decent planet to put it on? (H D Thoreau)
Flutterby

Post by Flutterby »

Oops, had lots to catch up on and now can't remember which pics I liked the most. :O^ Suffice to say, they are all fantastic, as usual!! \O \O

Pumbaa

Post by Pumbaa »

Thanks so much ExFmem,

what a fantastic trip you had with an unforgetable last drive - Love the kestrel and the falcon as well as the cheetahs plus mating lions - I would have think twice before leaving the park and same did not want to let you go \O

:ty: so much

P.S.: I nearly forgot your amazing bug colletion O\/ O\/ O\/

PuMbAa

Please visit our website: www.photomaniacs.de

Return to “Travel Tales of Kgalagadi Transfrontier National Park”