Meat for KTP

Discussions on KTP of a General Nature
harrys

Meat for KTP

Post by harrys »

Hi there 0/* 0/*

As you know we are visiting KTP in November :shock: 0-

What I want to know is. do you take your meat from where you stay or do you buy meat in Upington -O- , we will go to KTP when it's very hot and I don;t know if it will be such a good idea to take the meat from here -O-

KNP: May be one day again??
okie

Re: Meat for KTP

Post by okie »

Meat in Sanparks shop is expensive and not necessarily of good quality .

Some years ago , we visited KTP ( we did not have a fridge yet for the Landy ) , and kept our meat cool/cold by freezing water in used longlife milk cartons . We packed the frozen cartons in a layer on top of the meat inside a coolbox. They tend to thaw out during the heat of the day , but the meat still remained cold - just like in your fridge at home .
At night , back at camp , we froze the cartons again , to again be ready for use the next morning to keep our meat , and any other goodies , cold .
Meat will easily keep for up to 2 weeks like this \O

Enough is enough
harrys

Post by harrys »

okie wrote:Meat in Sanparks shop is expensive and not necessarily of good quality .

Some years ago , we visited KTP ( we did not have a fridge yet for the Landy ) , and kept our meat cool/cold by freezing water in used longlife milk cartons . We packed the frozen cartons in a layer on top of the meat inside a coolbox. They tend to thaw out during the heat of the day , but the meat still remained cold - just like in your fridge at home .
At night , back at camp , we froze the cartons again , to again be ready for use the next morning to keep our meat , and any other goodies , cold .
Meat will easily keep for up to 2 weeks like this \O
I've got a freezer that we take with, but we're just scared the meat won't make it

Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

Okie's plan works very well...preferably take a big coleman just for meat...not beers etc... O**

Put the beers/margarine/cheese in the freezer, those porta-freezers are normally useless after a while in November anyway... lol

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596
harrys

Post by harrys »

Richprins wrote:Okie's plan works very well...preferably take a big coleman just for meat...not beers etc... O**

Put the beers/margarine/cheese in the freezer, those porta-freezers are normally useless after a while in November anyway... lol
I get Okie's way and we have done it before but we will have to get meat for 6 people for 12 days, maybe better to get it in Upington.....problem is we arrive on the Sunday 0*\

My freezer is not a porta thingie it's a proper freezer and and it works very good :-)

Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

Harry, you will get excellent meat in Upington at the SPAR \O On Sunday the Spar is open \O At least it used to be. Mel will know \O

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
The desire for equality must never exceed the demands of knowledge
Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

Ja, pre-order the frozen meat at Spar by phoning them! ..0..

But I know you...you want to take Gauteng meat and need a magic wand! =O:

Take three colemans then! ^0^

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596
Mel
Global Moderator

Post by Mel »

If your freezer works well, then I don't see a problem bringing the meat with you... We usually buy enough meat for two weeks plus some extra that we share with the camp assistants in the wilderness camps. So at the start of the trip that is quite a load to be stored as well. Our rental bakkie also has a fridge/freezer but is only used as a freezer in the beginning. Since we don't camp, we have the luxury of transferring from the box in the car to a stationary freezer in the unit. But I assume you will have booked powered camp sites, so you will be able to use your freezer most of the time.

As a compromise you could take meat for, let's say the first days and buy in the shop/s for the rest. Because the meat that you can by in the park by now comes from the old renown butcher in Upington. The selection is good as well. The shops may run out of cheese, bread, eggs and stuff, but I have never seen the meat section empty. lol Of course, there is park surcharge but it might be worth it know that your meat is basically fresh.

Alternatively, you can try to pre-order your meat here: http://www.upingtonslaghuis.co.za/index.html and take it with you. (Ask for vacuumed and frozen) It's the same stuff you get in the park.

Unfortunately, I cannot comment on how well the pre-ordering works. Our car rental guy is the brother of one of the slaughters that works for the Upington Slaghuis and we are allowed to forward our order to our rental person who will then take care of it.

God put me on earth to accomplish a certain amount of things. Right now I'm so far behind that I'll never die.
harrys

Post by harrys »

Thank you Mel and Lisbeth, I will try these 2 options \O \O

Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

We ordered the meat vacuum packed and deep frozen three days before. We then went to Augrabies and picked it up un a Sunday on the way to KTP \O

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
The desire for equality must never exceed the demands of knowledge

Return to “KTP Information and General Discussion Forum”