Stakeholder meeting and Survey - Kruger Self-Drive Day Visitors

Richprins
Committee Member

Re: Stakeholder meeting and Survey - Kruger Self-Drive Day Visitors

Post by Richprins »

The results are out:

Dear Participant,

Firstly, on behalf of the Visitor Services unit at SANParks head office as well as the University of Queensland, please allow me to thank you for your participation in the Kruger National Park Traffic Management Stakeholder Perception Study.

Your and other participants’ inputs have provided the researchers with a rich set of very practical potential solutions to improve the current traffic related problems in KNP experienced on certain days of the year.

Stakeholder opinion is vital in providing evidence-based insights to management to improve the visitor experience in all of our Parks. Without your participation, this would not be possible and for that we remain truly thankful and hope you will continue to participate in future research projects so that your voice can be heard.

As promised, herewith attached please find the summary report compiled by the University of Queensland for your perusal.

While there were some minor differences in opinion between stakeholder groups on some of the proposed solutions, consensus was reached on what the main problem areas and potential solutions should be. The suggestions have been discussed internally with the KNP Park Manager as well as the Tourism division at head office.

Enquiries related to the research can be directed at either myself or Mr Kevin Moore (General Manager: Visitor Services) at kevin.moore@sanparks.org.

Enquiries related to KNP’s operational plans can be directed to the KNP Head of Communications Mr William Mabasa at william.mabasa@sanparks.org.

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596
Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

This is the only part that is important: (Never discussed at our meeting, even remotely)

Recommendations-

2. Provide SANParks day visitor OSV guided trips at the southern Park entry gates (‘park and ride’ scheme) for those not able to enter the Park due to vehicle capping restrictions.
3. Provide ‘private’ OSV day tour routes at all southern Park entry gates by linking existing service and maintenance roads for their private use; OSV guided day tour companies to be consulted regarding the provision and payment for required facilities and the ongoing maintenance of these facilities and the upkeep of roads.

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596
RogerFraser
Site Admin

Post by RogerFraser »

:-? The recommendations and the questions responses seem to not tie up in MHO .Seems to favour schemes that SANPARKS already had plans for ie Park and ride which did not really even feature in the questionnaire ...

and the answer to the question earlier on who requested the study is clear now
Commissioned: Glenn Phillips, Managing Executive, Kruger National Park
O** O**

Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

Develop a complaints reporting system to quickly identify and deal with open safari vehicle and self-drive visitor bad behaviour in the Park
Taxis, delivery and Sanparks vehicles are not mentioned :evil:

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
The desire for equality must never exceed the demands of knowledge
ubhejane

Post by ubhejane »

The final suggestions could make quite a difference. However two things occur to me:

a) In order to make a difference they will have to be implemented and driven efficiently. Will/Can SANParks do this? Or will it be something that starts with a fizzle and goes out in a wisp of smoke? I really hope not.

b) I notice that all SANParks employees only have to model good behaviour around animal sightings, Does that imply that the current poor driving standards, (speeding, frightening animals off the road, pushing past/ in front of tourist vehicles etc), will continue to be accepted as the norm everywhere else by SANParks? The original sentence read:SANParks vehicles and personnel to model good behaviour on the roads and to my sorrow, it was the participants in the questionnaire that allowed it to become of less importance. I believe that a lot of the poor behaviour in the park; just as elsewhere in the country, is modeled on what they see happening in the park.

Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

Agreed with all, but the main thing about congestion is too many people in the first place?

I like this one, though - we spoke about it quite a bit at our meeting, not really the "after hours" thing though. And I think we suggested just inside the gates...outside is a security nightmare! O-/

4. Institute a ‘depot’ system for Camp suppliers outside of Park entry gates; all supplies for individual camps to be transported daily by SANParks vehicles after Camp Gate closing times.

Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

Here is the relevant slide from G@mespotters post a few pages back:

viewtopic.php?f=342&t=7927&start=50

Now the "new" proposals:

2. Provide SANParks day visitor OSV guided trips at the southern Park entry gates (‘park and ride’ scheme) for those not able to enter the Park due to vehicle capping restrictions.

3. Provide ‘private’ OSV day tour routes at all southern Park entry gates by linking existing service and maintenance roads for their private use; OSV guided day tour companies to be consulted regarding the provision and payment for required facilities and the ongoing maintenance of these facilities and the upkeep of roads.

There was nothing discussed or suggested at the meeting about using SANParks vehicles for Park and Ride, other then me warning the Aussies that this process was a smokescreen for ending self-drive in the South. Vehicle capping restrictions were not mentioned at all in this regard.

ubhejane

Post by ubhejane »

It does seem that there has been quite a bit of discussion between SANParks and the Aussies to which the public is not privy. The SANParks agenda is a little like an iceberg I think.

Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

Always is, ubhejane... :yes:

Flutterby

Post by Flutterby »

:yes:

Return to “Public Participation - Kruger Management Plan”