Comments on Kruger management Plan 2018/2028

ubhejane

Re: Comments on Kruger management Plan 2018/2028

Post by ubhejane »

Lisbeth wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 10:07 am
What are those "operational needs" anyway, which were not there 15 years ago? The poaching? Yes, certainly! But I am sure that most of the costs are covered by help from the outside -O-
I'm not sure about that Lisbeth. Setting the new management plan aside for a moment: The poaching needs are partially covered by various NGOs, a few big brands and the odd very well-off individual. But these are mainly in the form of donations of food, equipment and so on. The actual running costs of the anti-poaching effort are huge and these have to be met by SANParks - petrol for long daily hauls; ammunition; veterinary requirements; all the extra staff; aviation fuel; legal; overtime and so on. So I can understand that, together with the day-to-day expenses of running a huge area like Kruger and the need to overhaul the infrastructure ( and really, at this stage, forget about why it requires such a huge cash injection; the point is that it does . . .) plus the need to get the surrounding, poverty-stricken communities on board before they devastate the park, management has a massive headache in the form of balancing the budget. So, yes, something needs to be done.

Back to the management plan.I'm not saying I like it - I don't. It will, in the long run destroy Kruger as we know it, but new generations wont know that and will probably accept it as it is - as sort of fun cross between Disneyworld and a nature park. Some of us tried to avert this by making other suggestions - which were totally ignored/the voicing of them was deliberately not facilitated - but we weren't strong enough and there were not enough of us. As soon as the effects begin to impinge on us (and I'm speaking personally now), we shall stop going to Kruger, as I am sure, will very many others. There are other places to love. Tthe hole that we leave will be filled by hordes of a different kind of tourist. So enjoy it while we can is my approach.

Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

Maybe it is different for you, but when I see something that I love disappearing little by little because of people who do not care (not a fire or an earthquake) I feel devastated, angry and worst of all powerless O/ I know that words will not change anything, but at least I get it off my chest for a moment.

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
The desire for equality must never exceed the demands of knowledge
ubhejane

Post by ubhejane »

Oh fear not Lisbeth. I have been through all the rage and the devastation, the anger and the frustration - and the venting! - magnified when I went to the Dbn meeting. But its pointless feeling this for the rest of my life. So I have to move on. That doesn't mean I no longer care or I no longer comment. It just means that |I'm taking a more pragmatic and philosophical approach for my own health.

Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

You speak well, ubhejane. Thank you.

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596
Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

I can assure you, Ubhejane, that neither I am going to ruin my life due to Sanparks, but it bothers me a lot seeing Kruger Park spoilt by a hand full of people, who is seeing the park only as a means of moneymaking :evil:

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
The desire for equality must never exceed the demands of knowledge
Bushcraft

Post by Bushcraft »

Richprins wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 11:47 am You speak well, ubhejane. Thank you.
Agreed \O

ubhejane

Post by ubhejane »

Lisbeth wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 12:08 pm I can assure you, Ubhejane, that neither I am going to ruin my life due to Sanparks
I'm glad Lisbeth and I hope that you - and I - will severally enjoy many more wonderful visits to KNP. As for the rest - you help to keep up the opposition which is great!

ubhejane

Post by ubhejane »

Thanks RP and Bushcraft.

Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

ubhejane wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 3:07 pm As for the rest - you help to keep up the opposition which is great!
Noy "you",... "we"! ;-)

I am also despondent for now, and have realised government change is the only solution regarding this and rhino poaching. :yes:

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596
ubhejane

Post by ubhejane »

Richprins wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 6:35 pm
ubhejane wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 3:07 pm As for the rest - you help to keep up the opposition which is great!
Noy "you",... "we"! ;-)

I am also despondent for now, and have realised government change is the only solution regarding this and rhino poaching. :yes:
Yes RP you're right of course. Sorry. :o0ps: I agree - a real change in government attitude is necessary.

Return to “Public Participation - Kruger Management Plan”