Offroad and 4x4 Related Chat

Africa Wild's 4x4 & overlanding forum
Lisbeth
Global Moderator

Re: Offroad and 4x4 Related Chat

Post by Lisbeth » Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:46 am

That's why they say never to go alone lol What a mess! 0*\
"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
The desire for equality must never exceed the demands of knowledge

okie

Post by okie » Tue May 07, 2019 4:43 pm

Ah well , after much thinking , consideration , introspection , I have come to a decision to change my vehicle of choice .
After so many years mainly driving a Land Rover Defender , I concluded that this old body of mine ( and also that of my SO , Okiedokie ) , is having difficulty in coping with the somewhat less than comfortable driving conditions ( read - rough :O^ ) .

Any takers out there O**
A failure is someone who did not try one more time

Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins » Tue May 07, 2019 5:12 pm

=O:

Half of AW has already got rid of their Landies, okie! :twisted:
Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596

Alf
Committee Member

Post by Alf » Tue May 07, 2019 6:11 pm

A landie is like a ford......

Always leaks oil ^0^
Next trip to the bush??

Let me think......................(stop thinking, next trip booked)

40th birthday at Sirheni here we come!!!!!

okie

Post by okie » Tue May 07, 2019 6:30 pm

Maybe because half AW do not bond with their vehicles . No sentiment at all O**
Vehicles have personalities , with good traits and bad traits , and you either love 'em or you leave 'em .
I always say there are two things that I am not prepared to lend out , namely your wife , and your car .
Both need to be serviced regularly , and you will not have many problems ;-)

And , you know , people always make jokes about Landy's for one of two reason only . Either they have never owned one , and could never enjoy what Landy's offer , and are therefore envious or jealous .
Do you know that in each and every town and hamlet in South Africa , there is at least one garage or mechanic who have fulltime jobs fixing Ford , Toyota , Suzuki , Isuzu . That's because they break down so often .
On the other hand , there are very very few Land Rover dealers in the country , and to have one service , you quite often have to travel hundreds of kilometres . The reason being , that Landy's very seldom , if ever , break down .

Oh , BTW , none of my Landy's , EVER , including the current one , EVER leaked oil .
Oh , and another thing , any Defender today , whatever condition it is , have a higher value/price than what it was originally sold for as new -- check it out ^0^

Lisbeth
Global Moderator

Post by Lisbeth » Tue May 07, 2019 7:30 pm

Since Landrover has become Indian it is kind of not the same anymore O** That's probably why the old ones are worth more lol
"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

RogerFraser
Site Admin

Post by RogerFraser » Tue May 07, 2019 7:33 pm

:yes: too true ,after we got the bus I kept looking under the bus for oil spots and when there were not any then I was worried and checked the oil levels that were right .Took a while to get used to lol

Lisbeth
Global Moderator

Post by Lisbeth » Tue May 07, 2019 7:34 pm

lol

okie

Post by okie » Tue May 07, 2019 9:58 pm

Lisbeth wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 7:30 pm
Since Landrover has become Indian it is kind of not the same anymore O** That's probably why the old ones are worth more lol
In some parts of the world , that could pass off as a racist statement :X:

But seriously , just because ownership of a business changes hands , does not necessarily mean that things are now worse .
On the other hand , yes indeed , new ownership could also increase the value of such stock ;-)
And keep in mind , that manufacturing sites do not necessarily change commensurate with change in ownership .

But , look at what has happened in China . The past 25 years or so , Western Countries and companies , set up manufacturing partnerships in China , basically without China paying anything for it , all for the sake of money , cheaper , much cheaper ( and very often inferior ) production facilities , resulting today in HUGE output of cheaply acquired Western Technology , and selling that same technology BACK , but those products are not necessarily of the same high quality as was originally intended and/or catered for , and neither does that product then compare in quality with the same/similar one produced in the actual country of origin .

Lisbeth
Global Moderator

Post by Lisbeth » Wed May 08, 2019 9:36 am

My comment was not related to all the practical facts, rather to the flair and the air the LR built in Britain and all British had about t, but then again GB is not what it used to be lol

Return to “Dongas & Dust”