Using ISO to get around harsh light

Discuss & view pics of a general nature
Peter Betts

Using ISO to get around harsh light

Post by Peter Betts »

Up until now all Digital DSLRs have had an ISO range from 100 ISO ..to anything from say 6400 or 51000...I also never really shot at midday so my ISO's were always set at the high end of decent possibities in low light which in most cameras apart from the Nikon flagship D5 is about 2000 max. I read an article recently that the now possible low native ISO on the D850 is 64 (Like the old days with Kodakchrome 64 ASA slide film) and that will allow you to take in the midday sun with a decent shutter speed ..I was guiding an American couple yesterday at Addo ..another benefit of a very low ISO is NO Digital noise to degrade an image ..I am pretty chuffed with the detail and no grain result at Midday at Lismore waterhole using native ISO 64 on the new D850 ..We are fast becoming best friends
D850 Canvas @ 64ISO.jpg
..No Noise at all and the shadow details unlike any I have experienced before ..I made a Full Res version for a possible later canvas saved at 58.6 Mb !!!! ..my poor computer !!..With a resolution like that you can make a canvas bigger than a London Bus

Mel
Global Moderator

Re: Using ISO to get around harsh light

Post by Mel »

That is a useful suggestion! Not that my camera is as quality as yours,
but still worth trying when taking the odd midday shot on our upcoming KTP trip.

Thanks, Peter \O

God put me on earth to accomplish a certain amount of things. Right now I'm so far behind that I'll never die.
okie

Re: Using ISO to get around harsh light

Post by okie »

yeahh , Thanks Peter \O

Enough is enough

Return to “General Photography Discussion Forum”