A Month in Bella Italia

Share your 'non-green' travel tales here.
Flutterby

A Month in Bella Italia

Post by Flutterby »

For those who may be interested I thought I might share some pics from my month long trip to Italy. ;-)

We left OR Tambo at 13.30pm on 16 August and arrived in Dubai 8 hours later where it was 40°(at 00.30am their time)!! :shock: We had a 3 hour wait before our next flight and finally arrived in Rome at 7.30am. After clearing passport control and collecting our luggage we were met by our shuttle driver and we were on our way to our hotel. We could only check in at 2pm so we left our luggage at the hotel and set off to explore. We had been told that the Colosseum was straight down the road about 10 minutes away, and we soon saw this. :-0

We had booked and paid for Omnia Cards and Roma passes before leaving SA. These would let us skip the line at most attractions and give us unlimited train and bus usage for 3 days but we had to collect them near the Pantheon, so we left the Colosseum behind and carried on.

The first of many, many, many O** churches we visited was Sant'Andrea della Valle (St. Andrew in the Valley) on Corso Vittorio Emanuele II. It was built from 1590 to 1650. It is considered to be a seriously large church and it certainly took our breath away! :shock: The dome is the third highest in Rome!

Not far away is Sant'Ivo alla Sapienza. Built in 1642-1660 by the architect Francesco Borromini, it is a masterpiece of Roman Baroque architecture. It is now used by the State Archives of Rome. Unfortunately it was closed so we didn’t get to see inside.

Getting creative with some rain water! ;-)

At this stage we did not have a map of Rome, 0*\ so after taking a very roundabout route due to quite a few wrong turns we finally found the Pantheon.

The Pantheon is a former Roman temple, now a church, on the site of an earlier temple commissioned by Marcus Agrippa during the reign of Augustus (27 BC – 14 AD). It was completed by the emperor Hadrian and probably dedicated about 126 AD. Almost two thousand years after it was built, the Pantheon's dome is still the world's largest unreinforced concrete dome. It is one of the best-preserved of all Ancient Roman buildings, in large part because it has been in continuous use throughout its history.

The oculus at the dome's apex and the entry door are the only natural sources of light in the interior. Throughout the day, the light from the oculus moves around this space in a reverse sundial effect. The oculus also serves as a cooling and ventilation method. When it rains, a drainage system below the floor handles the rain that falls through the oculus.

It is almost obligatory to take a selfie under the oculus! lol

RogerFraser
Site Admin

Re: A Month in Bella Italia

Post by RogerFraser »

^Q^ \O 0()

Mel
Global Moderator

Post by Mel »

Rome is a real gem when it comes to grand architecture!

And your puddle reflection shot is very clever ^Q^

God put me on earth to accomplish a certain amount of things. Right now I'm so far behind that I'll never die.
Pumbaa

Post by Pumbaa »

WoW Flutterby,

indeed Bella Italia - love the shot of the rain puddle - That is very special X#X

It looks as if Rome was very full :ty:

PuMbAa

Please visit our website: www.photomaniacs.de
leachy

Post by leachy »

:shock: :shock: :shock:

amazing statistics and information flutts.

thanks..

pity about all the cigarette buts in and around the reflecting puddle.....

the future is not what it used to be
Flutterby

Post by Flutterby »

Mel wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:18 pm Rome is a real gem when it comes to grand architecture!

And your puddle reflection shot is very clever ^Q^
Thanks Mel, Rome certainly is grand...I loved it! \O
Pumbaa wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:21 pm WoW Flutterby,

indeed Bella Italia - love the shot of the rain puddle - That is very special X#X

It looks as if Rome was very full :ty:
Hi Pumbaa, actually, Rome was quite empty. The 15th of August is Ferragosto in Italy which is a major public holiday and when most of the locals take a month long summer holiday. A lot of shops were closed until September. \O
leachy wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 6:12 am :shock: :shock: :shock:

amazing statistics and information flutts.

thanks..

pity about all the cigarette buts in and around the reflecting puddle.....
Thanks leachy. ;-) The cigarette butts are actually a problem all over Rome...I even took a picture of them somewhere else. Being a smoker myself, I found it difficult to find somewhere to throw the butts away as there are very few rubbish bins around, so people just throw them on the floor...luckily they don't do the same with larger rubbish. :O^

Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

^Q^ ^Q^ ^Q^ ^Q^ ^Q^ ^Q^ Flutts!!!

What interesting stuff, and the oculus business is very good indeed! :-0 :-0 :-0

:ty: 0() 0()

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596
Flutterby

Post by Flutterby »

Thanks RP...will carry on then. ;-)

Flutterby

Post by Flutterby »

In the piazza outside the Pantheon we found a salumeria and had our first panini with delicious prosciutto and mortadella!! Surprisingly we only paid €6 for two panini and two waters...very cheap for such a tourist hot-spot.

Another beautiful church...St. Ignazio built in the Baroque style between 1626 and 1650.

Funds to build a dome were lacking so instead a large circular canvas, painted by Andrea Pozzo in 1685, provides the illusion of a dome which does not actually exist! :shock: It had me fooled at first and I only realised it wasn't real when I read a signboard below! lol

After collecting our bus passes we finally gave our poor feet a break and got onto a Hop-on Hop-off bus which tours through the city all day long. Driving over the Tiber River we got to see William Kentridge's Triumphs and Laments on the river banks. He is the South African artist who we went to see at the WITS Art Museum when he gave a talk on this artwork. ;-)

The Brat and I were both exhausted and we had very droopy eyes during this bus ride. We got off near our hotel and were relieved to finally check in.

Hotel Milton Roma

We showered and rested our tired legs, then it was back out again. We had really liked the area around the Pantheon so headed back there to the Piazza della Rotonda for our first dinner in Italy.

When we left the restaurant we had no idea where to catch a bus back to the hotel, so we started walking in the hope of finding a bus on the way. However, we never found a bus and ended up walking all the way back!! 0*\

The Altare della Patria (Altar of the Fatherland), also known as the Monumento Nazionale a Vittorio Emanuele II or Il Vittoriano, is a monument built in honor of Victor Emmanuel, the first king of a unified Italy. This is the largest monument in Rome and has been controversial since its construction was completed in 1925. It is clearly visible from almost all over Rome despite lacking a dome or a tower. The Romans have given it a number of humorous and uncomplimentary nicknames, including the wedding cake, the dentures, and the typewriter. lol

The Colosseum by night.

We eventually got back to the hotel feeling absolutely exhausted after two long flights and walking all day. On average, we walked about 15 kms a day in Rome, :shock: 0- so you can imagine how sore our feet were. It didn't take long to pass out!! ;-)

leachy

Post by leachy »

^Q^ ^Q^ ^Q^ ^Q^ ^Q^ ^Q^ ^Q^

i am so enjoying this !!!!!

thank you

thank you

thank you

the future is not what it used to be

Return to “Travel Tales from around the World”