Post by Peter Betts »

The Rooiputs Spur only has Gemsbok Burgers on the menu on Sundays
Reading the Menu.jpg

Lisbeth
Site Admin

Re: 18 nights of Solitude at Rooiputs

Post by Lisbeth »

lol lol \O

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
The desire for equality must never exceed the demands of knowledge
harrys

Post by harrys »

^Q^ ^Q^ ^Q^

KTP: Twee Rivieren 12 to 13 May
KNP: May be one day again??
Klipspringer
Global Moderator

Post by Klipspringer »

What's the fav burger of the KTP lions?

Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

Very nice pic! O:V

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596
Peter Betts

Post by Peter Betts »

Klipspringer wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 1:27 pm What's the fav burger of the KTP lions?
Bacon & Avo lol

Flutterby

Post by Flutterby »

Lovely. \O

Peter Betts

Post by Peter Betts »

At Campsite 2 last trip to Rooiputs we had lots of Lion Activity in one night and some action on most of the other nights. In the Picture you can see the dug up Squirell Burrow on this side of the Afdak. On the other side is our trailer under the Camelthorn tree where the Cape Cobra hangs out :shock: . You can JUST see my little Braai peeking over the floor level of the Afdak standing in the open to the right of the trailer which I never had to clean as the Big Male lion loved licking the burnt remains of the evenings marinaded braai off the grid..I left it really dirty at night and next morning it would be shiny stainless steel clean..all this a couple of metres from where we were sleeping. You can see my Bakkie on the left where most mornings before I left camp at least 2 wheels had been urinated on with the tell tale signs of lots of lion spoor around the vehicle and the unmistakable stench of cat wee..My Border Collie used to love smelling the whole vehicle when we got home . Far to the left are the Toilet ..Long Drop Variety and the right structure is the shower room ..both with a chain with a small sign 'Occupied' hanging from the chain which when used ..was about a metre off the ground..It warned a human that the room was occupied but the last time I looked the Rooiputs lions dont/cant read and that chain is useless O-/ O-/

Anyway back to the burrow..A small colony/family group of 4 or 5 Ground Squirrels lived there. and became great camp friends. One night after the lion had cleaned my braai as part of 2am 5 star room service ..there were grunts and squeels emanating from the Afdak area. Next morning we found their home had been demolished ..one set of Lion prints as evidence at the crime scene and for the rest of our 18 day stay ..no Squirrel camp companions for Jane and I ..Life is cheap in the Kalahari but it is awesome to be living right in the midst of the action ..When will they remove the fences at Tsendze , Maroela and Balule in Kruger ..Wishful thinking
Lion Quarry.jpg

Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

Great story and a great setup, but I feel a bit sorry for the squirrels :-( They might have got away though ;-) The tongue of the cats is very rough and I do believe you, when you say that the grill of the braai was all shiny the next day \O

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
The desire for equality must never exceed the demands of knowledge
Peter Betts

Post by Peter Betts »

Definitely the most beautiful Falcon on planet earth..smaller than the iconic Peregrine and Lanner Falcons ..This Red Necked Falcon is my favorite and what a flyer..Taken in harsh mid morning light at Kij Kij just north of our camp site ..Because of the bad light please click to see the colours
Rednecked Falcon Kij Kij.jpg

Return to “Travel Tales of Kgalagadi Transfrontier National Park”