35%
Yes
61%
Don't know
4%

Total votes: 23

Richprins
Committee Member

Re: POLL: "Is it suitable for visitors to enter a restaurant in Sanparks barefoot?"

Post by Richprins »

From physical improvement to being able to participate in a society, shoes can improve quality of life, prevent injury of disease, help with healing for those with chronic foot conditions, offer support for inadequate arches or excess pronation, express one’s self, enable a person to work in hazardous conditions, or even help land that coveted job.

Physical Benefits of Shoes

In the early 1900s, there was an epidemic of hookworms in Mississippi and other rural American states. Improper sanitary facilities in combination with the lack of foot protection lead to the parasitic worm being able to bore itself into a foot in a corkscrew-like manner. Severe illness would ensue after a hookworm infection with anemia being the biggest health concern. However, an educational health campaign reinforcing the importance of wearing shoes and sanitary public facilities helped make hookworms virtually unheard of in the affected areas.

While the hookworm epidemic is no longer a concern in the U.S., today the need for proper footwear is still critical as a way of reducing the risk of certain parasitic diseases and foot infections in third world countries.

Diabetics can also be susceptible to foot infections in the form of ulcers and can lead to amputation. It is important to have proper footwear to minimize diabetic foot infections and to provide support to feet for comfort and proper healing. Other foot conditions, like bunions, Charcot foot, and corns can also be alleviated with proper foot wear.

Shoes not only help our feet to heal but can also aid in support and stability of our foot. Not all feet are perfect, so properly fitting shoes can help align your feet, ankles, knees, hips and back to correct your gait and improve posture.

Without supportive shoes, the biomechanics of the body are off causing unnecessary impact and stress on parts of your feet and knees that aren’t meant for shock absorption or pressure. This can eventually lead to back, knee and foot pain.

It is important to note that poorly fitted shoes can have a negative impact on your foot health. Accounting for the foot length and width can help prevent any foot development disorders. Keep in mind that growth spurts in children are rapid so a proper foot measurements on a regular basis is important. Replacement of shoes that no longer serve your feet as intended is necessary to maintain optimal foot conditions and protection for your feet.

The Cultural Importance of Shoes

The types of shoes worn differs from culture to culture, however, in most cultures, shoes are representative of social status or an extension of one’s self. Shoes can affect our perception of others as well as ourselves.

Certain shoes can be seen as an item of decoration for fashion and can have less to do with functionality. In the Western World, high heels or stilettos can be expressive of a women’s adulthood and sexuality. The shoes offer a sleek design while elongating their legs and changing their stance as a means for look and attraction.

However, not every culture uses shoes for fashion or a sign of wealth. There are many reasons for the use of shoes.

In South Africa, during the apartheid era, miners were not allowed to verbally talk underneath the surface in mine tunnels. For this matter, they developed a form of communication – also known as the “Gumboot Dance”- through foot taps and stamps, similar to Morse Code. The miners were forced to use Gumboots or Wellington boots as a means to obtain foot health while the miners were in the knee-high infected waters for hours daily. The Gumboots have become a cultural symbol for resistance for the South African miners.

Footwear is also used as a for ceremonies or religious devotions in various cultures. As part of the Indian culture, shoes are lavishly designed with embroidery, inlaid with precious stones and metals, and adorned with bells and tassels. The Indian culture praises the feet, so in ceremonious occasions, feet are clothed in beautiful garments for celebration and honor.

However, there are a wide range of cultural views of feet, while in America the idea of walking barefoot outside can symbolize freedom and attaching to one’s youthfulness, people in Japan perceive feet as a body part that must remain clean, so wearing shoes outdoors in necessary in their society.

The Psychological Importance of Shoes

In the 1994 movie, The Sandlot, an autographed baseball signed by Babe Ruth is knocked into a neighboring backyard that is home to a perceived vicious dog. From there, a group of young boys develop intricate plans to stealthily obtain the highly-valued baseball. All of their attempts failed, except for one that included one of the boys who hopped the fence wearing a brand new pair of P.F. Flyers that were perceived by the group to make you run faster and jump higher.

Through the P.F. Flyers, the boy’s confidence to take the feat head on increased because of his perception of the superhuman-like abilities wearing the shoes provided him. This type of perception is quite common and can not only boost the performance of a skill but can also provide benefits to the personality development of adolescents.

There is this perceived magical transformation to turn someone from ordinary to a superstar or model.

Similarly, an aspiring athlete may obtain a new pair of basketball shoes worn by their idol in an attempt to jump high or improve their jump shot, while a dancer’s first Pointe shoes may symbolize an effort to explore more deeply the art of expression through ballet.

Through perception, shoes hold value that is unique to the wearer and their environment. For example, an expensive cowboy boot with quality leather and a rugged look can invoke a perception that the wearer has a strong personality type that is independent, callused, and alienated from civilization.While shoes have a basic functional purpose with many benefits, there are also beliefs and intrinsic values that accompany them. While the lack of shoes cannot strip one of individuality nor can the lack of shoes keep a person from traveling, life is a lot easier when shoes are present. Shoes allow us to travel farther, be more expressive, improve our performance and aid in overall health. From our soles to our souls, shoes contribute a great deal to our human experience.

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596
Richprins
Committee Member

Re: POLL: "Is it suitable for visitors to enter a restaurant in Sanparks barefoot?"

Post by Richprins »

In fact over 600 million people worldwide don’t own a single pair of shoes.

This is very unfortunate because the importance and benefits of shoes can’t be overlooked. Having protective footwear with the correct fit is essential for overall health and comfort
1. Shoes Prevent Foot Problems

Going without shoes for too long or wearing ill-fitting shoes can cause:

Corns
Ingrown toenails
Fungal nail infections
Athlete’s foot

Over time, more serious problems can develop. Bunions can form, resulting in pain and disfigurement of the feet. A prolonged lack of proper foot support can cause arches to collapse, and can cause serious joint pain.
2. Shoes Alleviate Pain

Part of the job of shoes is to absorb impact as we walk, but bad shoes (or no shoes) can throw the whole body out of alignment. If shoes don’t have enough padding or don’t allow for an even stride, pain is an almost inevitable side effect.

The ankles, knees, hip joints and lower back are all affected by bad shoes. Widespread pain limits mobility, making it difficult to perform normal daily tasks.
3. Shoes Protect Against Infections

In many areas of the world, sanitation is poor and disease is widespread. Going without shoes in areas without proper disposal methods for animal and human waste makes people susceptible to parasitic worms and other foot infections. These diseases can be debilitating or even lethal.

Going barefoot puts humans at risk for hookworm, tick bites and injuries. Stepping on broken glass or rusty nails, have a nasty encounter with a prickly bush or winding up with an itchy rash from poison ivy are also concerns.

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596
Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

Hookworm infestation - Google

image.jpg
image.jpg (22.44 KiB) Viewed 1032 times
300px-Hookworms.JPG
300px-Hookworms.JPG (12.56 KiB) Viewed 1032 times

Flutterby

Post by Flutterby »

Eek!! :shock: 0:

Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

What do you say now, BC? lol

I have never seen women barefoot in SA, how come? O**

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
The desire for equality must never exceed the demands of knowledge
RobertT

Post by RobertT »

Lisbeth wrote: Wed Oct 31, 2018 11:12 am What do you say now, BC? lol

I have never seen women barefoot in SA, how come? O**

You obviously haven't been in kitchen in SA, as the saying goes, keep them barefoot, pregnant and in the kitchen. O** O** O** =O: =O:

I could go pull pics off vrot feet and damaged feet of net, plenty of those. It is just natural and healthy to go barefoot. I can understand in Europe etc where they have had hundreds of years of shiiite and diseases on grounds and so people covered their feet and it became a necessity, but here in Africa we don't have that problem. You have more chance getting Malaria than hookworm in Kruger. You will probably find more people with foot problems because of shoes than people with foot problems that went barefoot.

Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

Another thing is that it looks bad for us when a member walks around an eating area barefoot, especially when wearing an AW shirt... O**

q1.jpg

Bushcraft

Post by Bushcraft »

You asked Lisbeth :twisted:

RP has done a google search, copied and then paste and it's more about those with problem feet, or incorrect shoes, etc, etc.

There are hundreds of articles I can copy and paste here that say it's medically way better to go barefoot and there are definitely more pros about going barefoot than wearing shoes, I have checked and can use google search engines. Obviously there are certain cases where shoes are better, like running in the thorn veld, hot beach sand, etc, but generally the more one goes barefoot the better and there's plenty scientific research online to prove this.

My Logic =O:

How often do you wash your feet, once a day -O-
How often do you wash your shoes O**
Which is dirtier ..0..
Which is full of old rotting skin, sweat, toe jam, bacteria, etc, your shoes you never wash or your feet that you wash at least once a day hopefully O**

Dzombo wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:08 pm This is the way I see it

For all those who want to walk around bare foot, that's fine. No prob.
However the restaurant has a dress code - shoes please. It's about them. Not you. Either you comply, put on shoes and go in. Or don't wear shoes and go else where.

There are some fancy restaurants in central London that insist on a jacket and tie. If I turn up in jeans and a jersey (which I like wearing), they will not let me in. And that's fine. Either I comply with their requirements and I can dine there. Or not, and then I must go some where more casual. The choice is mine. But it's not really fair for me to criticize them for not letting me in wearing jeans and a jersey.

My 2c
Hundred percent Dzombo, your points are very valid

Any establishment is free to have their own rules and if one doesn’t like it one can go somewhere else. Well, locally schools are losing that one, now one doesn’t need to shave; one can have previously banned hairstyles, etc, because one is discriminating, so soon no shoes.

I feel if any establishment makes their attire guidelines known, then one must comply if one wants to enter, but they mustn’t take it for granted that people know this, especially in a place like Kruger. Are there signs up in Kruger indicating that shoes must be worn -O-

I will use a story to illustrate why I feel it needs to be made known.

I scored a once off client invite to Mziki game reserve, which shares a common perimeter with Phinda. We were then invited to a very well-known businessman’s house in the reserve; I estimate at least a R50mil place, while there. I went with shoes and then met the owner who was barefoot cooking a steak on a spade. It may have been a 1kg fillet and he was spraying it with Johnny Walker Blue, but that’s not the point. I asked him why he was barefoot and his response was “I’m in the bush on holiday” and that’s the same mind-set many from SA will have when in Kruger.

The problem I have is that many in society look down on those who aren’t wearing shoes and even the word “civilized” has been thrown in, so it’s clearly going back to a “class” thing. Back in the day people weren’t permitted to wear certain things unless they were of a certain status, the nobles, etc and in my opinion this is a follow on from years of history.

Many restaurants, like those you mention in the UK, want a certain client base and think that mandated attire will give them this and keep the “low class people” out and those who also think they are larnies want to feel they are hanging in the presence of larnies and many just like dressing up because it makes them feel better about themselves i.e. of higher class, but in my opinion it’s all a historical stigma attached to attire.

I was barefoot in the Skukuza Golf club sitting quietly with my family and next to us was a table of drunken swearing shouting hooligans, but they were welcome because they had flip-flops on and I wasn’t. Take a poll here on who one would rather dine next to in Kruger based on this. O**

Generally, medically and scientifically barefoot is best, but obviously not all the time as mentioned, however it has nothing to do with the class of the person and many think it does, even if they say it doesn’t. ^0^

Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

Money has nothing to do with being well behaved.

One reason for different views could be that Europeans have a very old culture and for generations to have "good manners" and being "well behaved" has been important socially. There are many other examples e.g. table manners. Eating with an elbow on the table right away puts you into a certain category in Europe, like the way you hold your fork and knife, speaking with food in your mouth, using your napkin in the right way etc. etc.

There also used to be a dress code, but that seems to be often forgotten these days, unfortunately IMO. It is not only being dressed in Jeans and t-shirt in the Opera, but also wearing Jewels in the morning or your best dress when you go to the supermarket.

It is difficult not to judge from your own cultural point of view. Seeing people eating with their fingers as they do in India, is horrifying also because of all the consequences 0*\ ( Not all are doing it).

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
The desire for equality must never exceed the demands of knowledge
Peter Betts

Post by Peter Betts »

Richprins wrote: Wed Oct 31, 2018 12:48 pm Another thing is that it looks bad for us when a member walks around an eating area barefoot, especially when wearing an AW shirt... O**

q1.jpg
..Did someone see the buff in the background ??

Return to “South African National Parks in General”