Addo 2019

Information & Discussions on Addo Elephant National Park
PJL

Re: Addo 2019

Post by PJL »

From that point the day was pretty quiet for a long time to be honest. We found some rats/mice though O**

Near Rooidam some lions (Jack & Jill) were flat out behind bushes. It wasn't much of a sighting despite the number of cars so we headed to the main camp for lunch. Afterwards we headed back to see whether there was any movement from the lions and as luck would have it, Jill was up and walking. She sat down for a while with an intent look on her face and then got up and started playing with something just like a domestic cat

On close inspection it was a tortoise :shock: :shock:

It didn't keep her attention for long before she started walking parallel to the road - still a fair way off

Her direction was good though, and I made the decision to move before the rest of the crowd so we were in a prime spot for when she crossed the road - right next to us X#X X#X

It didn't take long for her brother Jack to get up and start wondering where she had gone. He is starting to become a magnificent lion O/\

We were again in a great spot for the crossing but he got a bit confused and after popping out next to us decided to backtrack into the traffic jam lol

PJL

Post by PJL »

Heading back south we stopped to take some pics of the spekboom which was in full flower

Close to Waynes Valley we had a brilliant surprise with S spotting a brown hyena on a hillside close by O\/ O\/

Whilst waiting for it to re-appear more and more cars arrived so we moved on a bit thinking that perhaps the sighting was over and we would double-back once the crowds dispersed 0' 0'

A bit further on there was a jackal relaxing

We turned and tried the sighting again despite the queue not really giving way, but we got lucky again with a view of it further down from the bulk of the traffic before it disappeared entirely O/\ O/\

Despite very few elephants, the park had really delivered some amazing sightings. We also had a nice view of rarely (in Addo) seen bushbuck as well as a bushpig crossing the road O:V

Klipspringer
Global Moderator

Post by Klipspringer »

O\/ O\/ very pretty spekbom

and of course, I like the hyena.

Your mousies are Karoo Bush Rats Otomys unisulcatus, Myotomys unisulcatus – contrarily to other vlei rats, these are found in semi-arid and arid habitats.

Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

Great stuff, Peej!

Remember that brown hyena you saw years ago that made it into Getaway? :-0 :-0 :-0

X#X

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596
Flutterby

Post by Flutterby »

Stunning fox sighting! ^Q^ ^Q^ And great sighting of the lions and brownie! \O

I didn't know spekboom flowered....I just planted some in our garden! O/\

Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

Ja! :shock:

Spekboom are the best trees for capturing CO2, for some reason! :-0

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596
Flutterby

Post by Flutterby »

:yes:

Peter Betts

Post by Peter Betts »

Flutterby wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 8:03 am Stunning fox sighting! ^Q^ ^Q^ And great sighting of the lions and brownie! \O

I didn't know spekboom flowered....I just planted some in our garden! O/\
Yip the Cape Karoo Midlands Mountains are covered in purple in Spekboom flowering season ..My garden is full of it ..good for a natural environment and hideaway for lizards etc

Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

The spekboom is spectacular, I have always wanted to see one in bloom, but our dates never meet O**

Jack is extremely handsome ^Q^ ^Q^

Also the brownie is not a bad sighting ;-) How clever you are to avoid the traffic and get to see the animals all the same \O

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
The desire for equality must never exceed the demands of knowledge
Pumbaa

Post by Pumbaa »

Thanks so much PJL,

really love the battie shots as well as the zebra foal, the jackals and the ellie and not to forget the lions and brownie - Indeed a lot of stunning sightings O/\ ^Q^ :-0

PuMbAa

Please visit our website: www.photomaniacs.de

Return to “Addo Elephant National Park”