New Astronomy National Park in the Northern Cape: MeerKAT National Park

Information and Discussion on Management Issues in National Parks (except Kruger)
Klipspringer
Global Moderator

Re: New Astronomy National Park in the Northern Cape: MeerKAT National Park

Post by Klipspringer »

:shock: :shock: :shock:

The NP is up:

https://www.sarao.ac.za/wp-content/uplo ... VE9105.pdf
On the 27 March 2020, the National Environmental Management Protection Areas Act, 2003 (Act No,57 of 2003) declared that properties listed in this Schedule under section 20 (1) a (i) and (b) of the national Environmental Management herein the MeerKAT National Park

There will be an inauguration event of this National Park. Due to the COVID -19 global pandemic, a date cannot be established until the national lockdown is lifted.
Hendrik Malgas is the park manager of the MeerkAT NP

Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

The more the better \O

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
The desire for equality must never exceed the demands of knowledge
Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

Most of the tender is about this:

persons having a kinship with persons employed by the State,including a blood relationship, may make an offer or offers in terms of this invitation to Bid (includes an advertised competitive Bid, a limited Bid, a proposal or written price quotation). In view of possible allegations of favouritism, should the resulting Bid, or part thereof, be awarded to persons employed by the State, or to persons connected with or related to them, it is required that the Bidder or his/her authorised representative, declare his/her position in relation to the evaluating/adjudicating authority

And this! lol

Specify, by ticking the appropriate box, if subcontracting with an enterprise in terms of Preferential Procurement Regulations, 2017:Designated Group: An EME or QSE which is at last 51% owned by:
EME√QSE√Black people
Black people who are youth
Black people who are women
Black people with disabilities
Black people living in rural or underdeveloped areas or townships
Cooperative owned by black people
Black people who are military veterans

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596
Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

with persons employed by the State
I had to read it three times, looking for a negation somewhere :-?

And then.... 0*\ 0- 0-

Apart from the obvious, how would that kind of person have the money for an offer O**

And they are still calling the country a democracy :O^

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
The desire for equality must never exceed the demands of knowledge
Peter Betts

Post by Peter Betts »

Where is it ??

Peter Betts

Re: New Astronomy National Park in the Northern Cape

Post by Peter Betts »

Klipspringer wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 6:51 pm I don't think that this will be a NP for visitors. Most likely not attractive for tourism, Karoo landscape with very few large wildlife.

A Science Visitor Centre in Carnarvon will be outside the park.

Only for research maybe. O** Or some Astronomy tourists at a later stage :-? Or visitors who want to escape modern living and be without cellphone. lol

However, might be good for the Red Lark and some Karoo plants lol
I Think it will be Very attractive for a Niche market ..not the Die Hard Skukuza , Lower Sabie seeker of a habituated 'cardboard cut out' Leopard ..Instead Astrophotography is very popular especially overseas visitors who have very little option of finding dark night places..(I am just starting ) and we seek way out of the places with zero or very little light pollution ..For example Nossob camp is these days far too lit up ..what with a all night lit up waterhole at a hide and all the new accomodation where the new breed of luxury seekers like the bright lights and leave the outside unit /campsite lights on ..because they can regardless of their carbon footprint ..spoiling Astrophotography opportunities completely ..The same can be said for previously Dark camps like Shingwedzi where today it rivals Las Vegas at night down the Strip. Carnarvon I see ..perfect just very far from us ..so we will stick to the nice Afrikaans Farmer near Willowmore / Steytlerville in the Karoo with a single campsite in the Mts ..No Electricity ..and any case I see its BBBBEEEEEEE Plus so cant support that because its discriminatory against my tribe and family..so will always support folk like the friendly farmer first where possible

Return to “General Management Issues - Other National Parks”