Threats to Giraffes & Giraffe Conservation

Information and Discussions on Endangered Species
Mel
Global Moderator

Giraffes face hidden threats, scientist warns

Post by Mel »

Giraffes face hidden threats, scientist warns
Written by Henry Neondo

Scientists and conservationists meeting in Nairobi have raised alarm at the hidden threats faced by giraffes.

Giraffes may appear like they are out of danger conservation wise, but they are facing increasing pressures that have impacted on their numbers and distribution in Kenya and elsewhere across the continent.

Dr. Charles Musyoki, Senior Scientist, Department of Species Research Programs, Kenya Wildlife Service says that over the past decade, giraffe numbers in Africa have suffered at least a 30% drop in population as a direct result of habitat encroachment, habitat loss, habitat fragmentation and severe poaching.

There are currently a total of nine sub-species of giraffes naturally occurring in the African continent. Kenya is the only country with three of these sub-species. Other countries have either one or two sub-species.

Kenya is therefore the epi-centre for giraffe speciation. Given Kenya’s heritage in terms of giraffe diversity and speciation, it is fitting that we will become the first country to develop the first ever conservation strategy dedicated solely to giraffes anywhere on the African continent.

Additionally, Kenya is home to about 60% of the global population of wild Rothschild’s giraffe with Ruma National Park having the single largest meta-population (140+ individuals).

The conference looks at the full spectrum of issues and circumstances surrounding giraffes in terms of threats, population trends, habitat loss and what the global community can do to save giraffes.

“If nothing is done, there might be no giraffes soon. The changes seen especially the loss of habitat, particularly the savannahs are so huge and things need to change,” says Dr Musyoki.

According to Musyoki, strategies to save giraffes include, directing efforts at the habitats. He says giraffe’s habitats must be assured if they will continue to multiply.

He says attention will also go to education and awareness, research and monitoring and involvement of communities as most of the Masai and reticulated giraffes are outside the protected areas, normally in private or communal land.

The conservationists are also concerned at the impact infrastructure development may have on giraffes…Kenya has recently lost four giraffes due to electrocution by low dangling power lines.

Should the conservation of giraffe falter, Dr Musyoki warns that Kenya’s tourism may never be the same. Tourism will lose its colour and excitement to visit the country, hinged on the big five of which giraffe is one, will disappear.

Climate change is also affecting the number of giraffes’ for example, during the long drought experienced in 2009, a number died due to lack of feed and water and Kenya Wildlife Service had to intervene by providing water.

There are also cases of diseases, especially, Theileria and Anthrax, particularly in Mwea National Reserves.

Giraffes unlike Elephants and Rhinos are not targeted for trophies but are for meat and partly for skin.

God put me on earth to accomplish a certain amount of things. Right now I'm so far behind that I'll never die.
mposthumus

Re: Giraffes face hidden threats, scientist warns

Post by mposthumus »

What is next :evil: O/ O/ O/ O/

Mel
Global Moderator

Post by Mel »

That's what I thought too, mpossie... And there are so many small creatures
out there as well that face a rapid decline in numbers and / or extinction :-( O/

God put me on earth to accomplish a certain amount of things. Right now I'm so far behind that I'll never die.
Flutterby

Post by Flutterby »

0*\ 0*\

Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

This sounds good?

Habitat encroachment nails many species... -O-

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596
Mel
Global Moderator

Post by Mel »

The only thing that sounds remotely good to me is that giraffes are not targeted as trophies. :O^

nan

Post by nan »

Oh ! no ! 0*\

Kgalagadi lover… for ever
https://safrounet.piwigo.com/
Dzombo

Giraffe in trouble

Post by Dzombo »

nan

Re: Giraffe in trouble

Post by nan »