2-way radio

Advice, information and discussions on travelling in Southern Africa
Pilanesburg_boy

2-way radio

Post by Pilanesburg_boy »

Hello

I would like to find out if there's any way for the public to get frequency with the guides radios to give the public that extra advantage..
(if this topic isn't suitable for discussiondue to the sensitive nature, please close or delete it :))
If not

What type of radios do they use
Thank you and apologies in advance :)

Richprins
Committee Member

Re: 2-way radio

Post by Richprins »

Don't know why you apologise, BB! lol

Theoretically two way radios are forbidden in SANParks at sightings etc, but doesn't seem to happen... :-?

The guides have or will have quite a clever system where certain areas are demarcated into "colour" blocks, so the "blue" block will operate on their own frequency, the "red" block their own, etc. This means less pointless chatter. Not sure if all companies share this, but the umbrella body has adopted it, so they should?

SANParks is also privy to these channels, for emergency purposes.

I don't know about listening in, one could ask a company, but I doubt they would agree...may organise something special for AW members! lol

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596
Pilanesburg_boy

Post by Pilanesburg_boy »

Lol just incase.. Yea doubt a company will let you in their frequency unless you know someone but I'm sure one can connect and hear in? And Any knowledge on what kind radio they use and is it possible to get oneself in?

Twigga

Post by Twigga »

Had a discussion with a Kruger regular last week

The person informed me, that they have a 2 way, that they use in Kruger, they pay many dirty buffalo's each year for the licenses , then they belong to the club

But then the person quickly realized that they've given out too much info and quickly steered the conversation in another direction lol

Somewhere in Kruger

Return to “Travel Advice and Discussions”