Mapungubwe National Park

Information & Discussions on Mapungubwe National Park
Flutterby

Mapungubwe National Park

Post by Flutterby »

Mapungubwe National Park is situated in the Limpopo Province at the concourse of the Limpopo and Shashe rivers, and constitutes a part of the proposed Limpopo-Shahe Trasnfrontier Conservation Area (an area spanning over 28 000 hectares).

Mapungubwe means ‘place of the stone of wisdom’, and the cultural landscape of Mapungubwe Park was once the home of a large civilization – the most complex ancient society in southern Africa. Now a UNESCO World Heritage Site, it contains the untouched remains of the palace sites of this kingdom, the largest ancient civilization. The Golden rhino uncovered here still stands and has come to be a symbol of Africa’s continuing cultural heritage.

Image ©peaceparks.org

Image ©mweb.co.za

Image ©sanparks.org

Image ©withtank.com

Nestled between three of the most scenic countries in Africa – South Africa, Botswana and Zimbabwe - Mapungubwe is a landscape of contrasts. Sandstone rock formations form the backdrop to dramatic baobab and Mopane forests that unfold along floodplains where wild animals roam freely. Acacia, fig and fever trees form part of the dense vegetation of Limpopo’s important riparian fringe, which provides a habitat for more than 400 species of birds, including the Cinnamon-breasted Bunting, Meve’s Starling and the Tropical Boubou. Pel’s Fishing Owls and a high number of Verreaux’s Eagles hunt amongst many other raptors.

Animals are free to cross the boundaries of the Limpopo / Shashe Transfrontier Park, which joins the Tuli Block in Botswana and the Tuli Safari area in Zimbabwe. Wildlife includes a variety of antelope, giraffe, zebra and elephant. Visitors taking 4x4 tours in the Kongoni Loop or visiting the Maloutswa Pan hide may be rewarded with sightings of lions, cheetahs, wild dogs, Brown and Spotted Hyenas and White Rhinos.

Image ©wordpress.com

Image ©showme.co.za

Leokwe Camp is in the valley of the Limpopo river and is modeled on the Vendan Village design and is the ideal, self catering getaway. There are 2-bed cottages and 4-bed family cottages, all with WC and shower and open-plan kitchens. No restaurant, shop, filling station or phones.

Limpopo Forest Tented Camp is situated near to the Maloutswa Pan hide, a haven for birding enthusiasts. Accommodation consists of 2-bed tents with WC, shower and kitchen. No restaurant, shop, filling station or phones.

Mazhou Campsite offers electrified campsites.

Tshugulu Lodge is situated along the popular 4 x 4 eco trail. Because of the high traffic of wild animals (notably the Big Five) in the area, most lodge activities are guided. Accommodation is in the form of a bush lodge which can sleep up to 12 people in 3 en-suite rooms each with double beds, 3 en-suite rooms each with 2 single beds, fully equipped kitchen and aircon. There is a swimming pool.

Vhembe Wilderness Camp offers four 2-bed cabins with WC, shower and fan, a communal kitchen and lapa. The camp runs on solar power and there are no plug points.

Accommodation rates do not include Conservation Fees which are payable at the entrance gates.

For reservation enquiries go to: http://www.sanparks.org/

Toko

Re: Mapungubwe National Park

Post by Toko »

Toko

Post by Toko »

SANPArks Mapungubwe National Park Brochure
mapungubwe_mclwhs_emf.pdf
(6.54 MiB) Downloaded 1385 times

Flutterby

Post by Flutterby »

Mapungubwe in pictures

Click on above link to see photos.

Travelling along the dusty roads of Mapungubwe National Park, you’re overwhelmed by a feeling of solitude and peace of mind. Time in this park is a treat for body and soul. By Michel Zwaan

As soon as you enter the gate to Mapungubwe National Park – a World Heritage Site – a magnificent view of koppies, crags and crevices unfolds. Driving through Mapungubwe is synonymous with the joy of being alone in an area that has hardly changed in thousands of years. Here the endless nothingness, old baobab trees and the hues of brilliant dawn colours speak to the avid photographer’s imagination.

Although Mapungubwe doesn’t have the enormous wildlife population of the Kruger National Park, the variety is more than enough to keep you busy and enjoy sightings aplenty… From the funny antics of the ‘clowns of the bush’, the blue wildebeest, to the low rumbling of groups of elephants. Driving along the Limpopo and Shashe rivers is an absolute must for elephant sightings, but do take note: these gentle giants have right of way.

Did you know?

South Africa’s first kingdom was established here just prior to 1,300 AD.
Mapungubwe is South Africa’s northernmost national park and was declared a World Heritage Siteby UNESCO in 2003.
Aside from extremely large baobab trees, or ‘upside down’ trees, the park is also known for at least 24 acacia and 8 commiphora species.
The park is home to more than 400 bird species.
The famous golden rhino was found in 1932 and excavated by the University of Pretoria. According to experts, the Mapungubwe people left the area some 700 years ago due to climate change.
A birdlife spectacular is a daily occurrence – have your binoculars ready and try to spot Verreaux’s eagle or white-fronted bee-eater. Also take a stroll on the Tree-top Walk where we found more than 15 different species of birds within 10 minutes. Among our best sightings were the colourful little bee-eater, the noisy yellow-billed hornbill and the impressive martial eagle.

We enjoyed a scenic breakfast at the picnic spot at the Confluence of the Shashe and Limpopo rivers – the setting is picturesque and tranquil. Make sure to brave the steep walk to the lookout point for incredible views of two of South Africa’s neighbouring countries, Botswana and Zimbabwe.

For 4×4 enthusiasts, various self-drive routes offer magnificent views and surprising sightings. Mapungubwe did not at all disappoint and will soon be seeing us again!

Other activities

Set off on various guided walking trails (three hours at R360 per person) accompanied by a knowledgeable ranger and experience the bush on foot.
The highly informative Heritage Tour includes a visit to the top of Mapungubwe Hill. Your guide will share insights into the archeological discoveries and what the artefacts have revealed about the Kingdom of Mapungubwe. Tours depart at 07:00, 10:00 & 15:00/16:00, two hours at R215 per person.
Why not rent a safari vehicle – if you’re not the owner of a 4×4 – and drive on the wild side with the Tshugulu 4×4 Eco Trail or Kanniedood Loop? It’s bound to be a memorable adventure.
How to get there

Mapungubwe can easily be accessed through the Kruger National Park via Pafuri Gate (210km) or Punda Maria Gate (270km).

Mel
Global Moderator

Post by Mel »

Well done on that article, Michel \O Nice pix too O:V

God put me on earth to accomplish a certain amount of things. Right now I'm so far behind that I'll never die.
somabhula

Post by somabhula »

Further to my Travel Tales, will never visit this park again even if they paid me. Rude/Rude staff, having to fight off monkeys from dawn until dusk, even in the ablutions!
On a drive got snared, now will add wire cutters to in vehicle equipment. Wasn't too worried about lions and allies, more about ticks as under vehicle. Temps were hitting 50 C and no cold drinks, to be had.

"I can't go back to yesterday, because I was a different person then." Lewis Carroll
Lisbeth
Site Admin

Post by Lisbeth »

Removed from my list O** \O :ty:

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
The desire for equality must never exceed the demands of knowledge
Flutterby

Post by Flutterby »

Not good!! :O^

Mel
Global Moderator

Post by Mel »

Interesting experience, somabhula 0*\

They have introduced lions into the park?

God put me on earth to accomplish a certain amount of things. Right now I'm so far behind that I'll never die.
somabhula

Post by somabhula »

Will try and post some photos, saw the only klipspringers of the trip here.

"I can't go back to yesterday, because I was a different person then." Lewis Carroll

Return to “Mapungubwe National Park”