Kruger National Park Visitor Numbers

Information and discussions on congestion in Kruger
Richprins
Committee Member

Re: How Many Day Visitors Enter Kruger?

Post by Richprins »

So an extra 715 persons allowed per day in the Southern Section vs 2012?

Mjejane Gate is a strange one, as it services the Community Lodge just east of Malelane....a low-water bridge...very suspicious of this one? :-? O**

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596
Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

okie, we must get our calculators out again! X#X

Still wonder about that 2010 promise that extra gate quotas would be retracted after the World Cup...

It appeared in Lowvelder...straight as a die!

Anyway, money is obviously boss! O** 0*\

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596
nan

Post by nan »

why so many people in the South vs "only" 200 less in the North :-?

it's time to promote a little bit the North (not the transit) and uncongested the South -O-

Kgalagadi lover… for ever
https://safrounet.piwigo.com/
Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

By Adele du Toit
A record number of visitors to the Kruger National Park have been recorded for the 2014/15 financial year.
SANParks CEO Fundisile Mketeni said a total number of 1 659 793 guests passed through the gates of the KNP in the 2014/2015 financial year, compared to 1 556 916 the previous financial year.

“Of this number 1 277 397 were day visitors and 382 396 were overnight guests. Between the 2012/2013 and 2014/15 financial years, the number of day visitors entering the Kruger National Park grew by an additional 239 817. Day visitor volumes picked up noticeably in December, with 148 138 day visitors entering the park,” said Mketeni in a press statement.
Mketeni said the majority of SADC visitors entered from the Punda Maria Gate (10 378) and the majority of ‘other international’ visitors entered the KNP from Phabeni Gate (76 920).
“A total of 10 378 visitors entered from the Punda Maria Gate whilst 76 920 visitors entered from the Phabeni Gate. A total of 382 396 overnight guests spent a night or more inside the national park generating more than R 321 million in accommodation fees for SANParks,” said Mketeni.

Of the 25 SANParks operated camping facilities inside the KNP, the majority overnighted at the popular Skukuza camp.

“These figures are pleasing not just for SANParks but for the country in general: evidence that our abundant wildlife continues to attract our citizens and foreign visitors, and in particular, more visitors from the continent,” said Mketeni.

Minister of Environmental Affairs, Edna Molewa, congratulated SANParks on the new record.

“Since the proclamation of the Kruger nearly a century ago, it has continued to be a local and international draw-card for tourists, and this is largely because of sterling management by SANParks,” said Molewa.

“That increased numbers are visiting one of our country’s major attractions furthermore indicates that government’s National Tourism Sector Strategy is well on track, and working,” adds Molewa.

According to the press statement, visitor numbers for the 2015/2016 financial year look similarly promising. The sub-total of day visitor numbers through April 2015 is 108 284 and 35 093 overnight guests.

http://www.mylowveld.com/blog/record-nu ... rs-to-knp/

Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

At last some stats from SP! O/\

Mel
Global Moderator

Post by Mel »

Yeah, but some horrifying numbers when you are a regular and / or an overnight visitor at Kruger... Tell me all about the busy south 0*\

The popular Skukuza camp... I have no idea, but my initial guess would be that the camping section is the largest of the park, just like
everything else there is the largest of the park... So, what exactly is surprising in the fact that most camping overnighters stayed there?

And maybe you want to make sure that your park stays a draw card for national and international visitors alike by protecting your abundant
wildlife for years to come. Including the rhino, e.g. 0'

Sorry for being so negative, but I find such a positive approach uncalled for, looking at the diverse problems that occur in Kruger. 0*\
Well, maybe I should appreciate that finally there were some numbers published. :twisted:

God put me on earth to accomplish a certain amount of things. Right now I'm so far behind that I'll never die.
Bushcraft

Post by Bushcraft »

Of this number 1 277 397 were day visitors and 382 396 were overnight guests. Between the 2012/2013 and 2014/15 financial years, the number of day visitors entering the Kruger National Park grew by an additional 239 817
Therefore 1517214 day visitors per year at the moment which is an average of 4156 day visitors a day which is 4 times the average number of overnight guests in the park per day and people still won’t admit that the traffic problems and chaos on the roads in Kruger stems from these day visitor numbers 0*\

Flutterby

Post by Flutterby »

Way too many day visitors!! 0*\

Toko

Kruger National Park Visitor Numbers

Post by Toko »

https://pmg.org.za/question_reply/537/

Reply received: May 2015

QUESTION NO. 1668 {NW1885E}

INTERNAL QUESTION PAPER NO. 13 of 2015

DATE OF PUBLICATION: 8 May 2015

Mr T Z Hadebe (DA) to ask the Minister of Environmental Affairs:

Can she provide details concerning the total number of (a) day visitors and (b) overnight visitors in the Kruger National Park for each month (i) in the (aa) 2012-13 and (bb) 2013-14 financial years and (ii) from 1 April 2015 up to the latest specified date for which information is available;

(2) (a) what is the total number of (i) visitors entering each gate (aa) from Southern African Developing Communities (SADC) countries and (bb) other countries, and (ii) overnight visitors in each rest camp, including private and bush camps, and (b) what is the revenue generated from (i) conservation fees and (ii) accommodation fees, including community levy?

1668. THE MINISTER OF ENVIRONMENTAL AFFAIRS REPLIES:

KNP Revenues (2013-2014, VAT exclusive):

Conservation Fees: R107.041-million

Accommodation: R321.484-million

Community Fund: R3.723-million

RobertT

Re: Kruger National Park Visitor Numbers

Post by RobertT »

:shock: Dec overnight visitor numbers dropping, but day visitors increasing. And they think more hotels will solve this? O/ O/

July, August, Sept, Oct overnight guests numbers are big compared to Dec.

Return to “Congestion in Kruger”