Tales of the Kgalagadi.

Michele Nel

Tales of the Kgalagadi.

Post by Michele Nel »

First of all let me just tell you that is not a travel tale... it is just a few stories from our most recent trip to the park. Reports need to have a start and an end..it is a well known fact that I never manage to finish a report anymore. :O^ :O^ Therefore if I just call this a few stories then it doesn't matter whether I finish it or not... =O:

As usual the 26th Dec saw us making our way up to our most favourite place...the Kgalagadi :) Our first night was spent en route at Kalahari Guest house and then 3 nights at Urikaruus. It was quiet ...13th, 14th Dalkeith and Craig Lockheart were all devastatingly quiet. But it was just so good to be back. It wasn't even that hot, there were no bees around ( very important since discovering on my previous visit to Urikaruus that I am violently allergic to bee stings) and we had been given chalet #1. Plenty of reasons to smile.
It was on our second day there that we decided to drive south on our afternoon drive...mostly we drive north.
The drive was quiet..nothing at all...until I spotted this little creature on Doug's side of the road. My heart always soars when I see these little creatures.
CB6C9886.jpg
Unfortunately the meerkat took one look at us and disappeared. We slowly pulled away but within seconds I spotted some more meerkat on my side and what I spotted this time made my heart soar even more...if that is possible. :)
CB6C0026.jpg
Yes more meerkat ...with two of the tiniest little ones I had ever seen. They were trying their best to keep up with the older meerkats. They were tumbling over their own feet as they were running along. Even trying to get around bokkie droppings was a mission for them.
CB6C0047.jpg
What we found most interesting was the way all the other meerkats were fussing over them. There was much scurrying about and there was always one meerkat babysitting the babies. One brought them some food but they were not interested. Maybe too young to take on a huge grub for dinner.
CB6C0062.jpg
The babies were lagging behind and I think the clan were making their way to their den for the night...so a helping hand was needed.
CB6C0090.jpg

Michele Nel

Re: Tales of the Kgalagadi.

Post by Michele Nel »

With that a second meerkat backtracked to pick up baby #2. This meerkat was not managing very well but finally picked it up..albeit by the ear.
CB6C0120.jpg
I then realised that the meerkat was a male ...I guess they are not as good as the moms when it comes to carrying the babies.
Baby#2 was happy been carried along by his ear and after a bit squirming and wriggling dad dropped it and tried again. This time he got it right...:)
CB6C0124.jpg
They moved off out of our view.
Well that sighting had already made my trip. Even if I saw nothing else during the rest of our stay I would be happy. Indeed a privilege to witness this little family taking care of the young. :)

Mel
Global Moderator

Post by Mel »

Michele 0/* Long time no see X#X
Michele Nel wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:12 pm First of all let me just tell you that is not a travel tale... it is just a few stories from our most recent trip to the park. Reports need to have a start and an end..it is a well known fact that I never manage to finish a report anymore. :O^ :O^ Therefore if I just call this a few stories then it doesn't matter whether I finish it or not... =O:
That would be a wise decision lol And maybe you should number it too. Then next time you just choose the same title with the next number O**

LOVE those ever so cute meerkat shots. Must be the smallest I have ever seen. Or at least the first time that I see a baby being carried.
Very enchanting to watch them taking care of the youngster :-0 !

God put me on earth to accomplish a certain amount of things. Right now I'm so far behind that I'll never die.
Michele Nel

Post by Michele Nel »

Mel wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:11 pm Michele 0/* Long time no see X#X
Michele Nel wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:12 pm First of all let me just tell you that is not a travel tale... it is just a few stories from our most recent trip to the park. Reports need to have a start and an end..it is a well known fact that I never manage to finish a report anymore. :O^ :O^ Therefore if I just call this a few stories then it doesn't matter whether I finish it or not... =O:
That would be a wise decision lol And maybe you should number it too. Then next time you just choose the same title with the next number O**

LOVE those ever so cute meerkat shots. Must be the smallest I have ever seen. Or at least the first time that I see a baby being carried.
Very enchanting to watch them taking care of the youngster :-0 !
Thx Mel...yes been busy so therefore not much time for forums...:)

harrys

Post by harrys »

Very cute Meercats indeed ^Q^ ^Q^

Marakele day trips

KNP: May be one day again??
Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

0/* Michele!

Those meerkat are impossibly cute, and great pics! ^Q^ ^Q^ ^Q^ [O]

Didn't you go to Tanzania too? :-?

0()

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596
Flutterby

Post by Flutterby »

Oh, how cute are those little critters!! ^Q^ ^Q^

Michele Nel

Post by Michele Nel »

Richprins wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 6:44 am 0/* Michele!

Those meerkat are impossibly cute, and great pics! ^Q^ ^Q^ ^Q^ [O]

Didn't you go to Tanzania too? :-?

0()
Thx Richprins. :)

Yes I was in Tanzania in Sept...and Namibia in August..then my daughter and grandkiddies were home for 6weeks during which we celebrated 60th, 30th and 1st birthdays..now you know why I don't get to travels tales that often...:) :)

Michele Nel

Post by Michele Nel »

Thank you for reading everybody..I will maybe get another tale out soon. :)

Pumbaa

Post by Pumbaa »

What gorgeous cuties, Michele,

and what a luck you had with that sighting and even so close O/\

PuMbAa

Please visit our website: www.photomaniacs.de

Return to “Travel Tales of Kgalagadi Transfrontier National Park”