Bateleur Bushveld Camp

Information & Discussion on the Camps of Kruger
Toko

Bateleur Bushveld Camp

Post by Toko »

What is interesting to see in the vicinity of Bateleur Bushveld Camp?

This is a short overview of AW Flavours of the Month in the Bateleur Bushveld Camp area:

Rooibosrant Dam
Mooiplaas Windmill S49
S56 Mpholongolo Loop & Babalala Picnic Spot
S52 Red Rocks Loop

Toko

Bateleur Bushveld Camp

Post by Toko »

ExFmem

Re: Bateleur Bushveld Camp

Post by ExFmem »

Perhaps this should be moved to the "Things You Should Know…." thread, if so, please feel free.

We have always loved Bateleur, and one of it's main draws was the ability to sit at Rooibosrand either at sunrise or sunset without hordes of people, as only those staying at Bateleur were "allowed" to use those roads. It was such a tranquil and serene spot, with hippos, fish eagles and their nests, sable, and many many of the more common game, not to mention all the waterbirds. You could stay for gorgeous sunsets and still make it back to camp on time.

Alas, no more, I'm VERY sorry to say. In Sept. of last year we stayed there, and were so disappointed that the areas stretching along the shoreline where you used to be able to drive, have been closed off, leaving very little room to even park, and even less visibility. It's simply not worth even a visit in my opinion. With virtually no access at all, photography is severely limited, whereas it was previously a wonderful spot to sit for hours. We really won't be staying there anymore, but will certainly miss "the good 'ol days".

I wish I had known about this change before we booked, so that is why I'm mentioning it here. Does anyone know the reason this decision was made, and if it's going to be reversed/reopened in the future? Thanks!

Dewi

Post by Dewi »

Sorry to hear this ExFmem. :-(

We spent a full day there without moving at all and noted 110 species of bird, reptile and mammal in that one day. A fabulous spot to just sit and watch the comings and goings to the dam. I'd heard that some areas had been blocked a while back, but thought it was only temporary?

Won't be the same anyway if that new gate and road go ahead. :-(

Dewi

What is the good of having a nice house without a decent planet to put it on? (H D Thoreau)
Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

Click on image:
bateleur_map.jpg
Bateleur is one of Kruger's oldest Bush Camps, a response to tourist requests for more discreet and quiet accommodation away from the hustle and bustle of the main camps. There is no camping, and shopping is limited to ice and wood. It is the only Bush Camp with airconditioning available. Game viewing can be very sparse, limited to the watercourses in the area including the "private" Silwervis and Rooibosrant dams and the Shingwedzi River. rare antelope such as sable, roan and eland may be found, along with multitudes of elephant and buffalo.

What to look for:

Buffalo, elephant

Jackalberry trees

Bateleur eagle

One experience not to be missed is as follows:

Had a mate who worked there once, and visited there, but ran out of accommodation...ended up sleeping in the laundry store on a FREEZING winter's night...an emergency!

I don't suppose one can request that, but there is nothing to compare to sleeping in the bush surrounded by piles of blankets and bedding...never slept so soundly in my life! :-) :-) :-)
Last edited by Richprins on Fri Nov 01, 2019 8:53 am, edited 4 times in total.

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596
ExFmem

Post by ExFmem »

Just bumping this up to see if anyone has visited recently and can supply any update ? Thanks all!

Dzombo

Post by Dzombo »

ExFmem wrote:Just bumping this up to see if anyone has visited recently and can supply any update ? Thanks all!
Wasn't this one of the camps badly damaged by the recent floods?

Edit, just had a look on the SANP website, and this camp is open.

Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

Got a reply regarding the loops!

Yes it is accessible, please if you would like to make a drive to the dam give us a call to make appointment.

I assume things will be different after the floods, and the manager is relatively new!

So a recent tourist will probably be able to give a better picture! -O-

Please check Needs Attention pre-booking: https://africawild-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=322&t=596
Sharifa

Post by Sharifa »

Hi ExFmem, like you we loved Bateleur and one of the main reasons is Rooibosrandt Dam, another reason is the Red Rocks Loop. Like you, we were very disappointed :-( in December 2010 when the Dam was not accessible anymore. It was such a nice place to just park off and we have spent many a morning here. Will try to dig up some photos from the area.

The story we got at the time is that it was one of the waterholes earmarked for closure -O-

Richprins
Committee Member

Post by Richprins »

Sharifa wrote:
The story we got at the time is that it was one of the waterholes earmarked for closure
Apparently not! :shock:

The Dam is essential for Bateleur's private road network? -O-

Return to “Camps of Kruger”